Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon.

I have a question concerning electrical issues in the home that I am renting. While I do have knowledge concerning NEC codes, I am just a "lay person" and not really up-to-date with the new codes.

Here's the problem:

I live in a community where all of the homes are required by the landlord/owners to have been "updated" and brought to code when the borough adopted the "new" regs back in 2009.
Prior to being allowed to rent a home, the landlord/owner must have the home inspected by a certified building inspector. This inspection included the electrical inspection as well.
The home was built in the 1920's, and has the old tar/paper wiring throughout. The borough required that these wires be removed and updated to comply with the NEC.
When the building was inspected, there were no GFCI outlets in the kitchen over the sink counter, there were no GFCI outlets in the bathroom, and in the basement there are 12/3 wires spliced onto the old tar/paper wires, half of the receptacles/outlets are "ungrounded" or "open grounded", wires of different gauges are sharing the same branch circuit, and there are no AFCI's where there should be.

The original inspection was done shortly after the new borough ordinances were put into effect. It is stated in the borough that all electrical wiring must be updated and brought to code BEFORE the home/unit is rented.
The inspector, instead of failing the home, took the word of the landlord/owner that the issues would be fixed. Remember, this inspection took place almost 5 years ago!! The problems are still not fixed.

Tomorrow, the same building inspector that did the first inspection will be coming over to do a re-inspection per my request. When I call the inspection firm and told them of the situation, they said that they wanted the original inspector to "make it right" (their own words).

My question is should the inspector have failed the building in the first place, and, what are the codes that are in violation??

I ask because when I brought these issues to the attention of the home-owner, he sent me an eviction (retaliatory in nature) and refuses to do any work to correct the issues. So, I will be representing myself in court and need to have this info for evidence.

Thank you.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You will have no credibility in court, I would recommend you find a reputable electrical contractor hire him to inspect the home and have him state the violations he finds in court (let them know this is your intent before hand). you stating codes will get eatin alive by a good lawyer in court who contacts a EC to find exceptions.

Only thing you will be able to do in court to help your case is bring documents stating things were supposed to be fixed, have a pro walk threw the electric, we can't give adequate advice on here without a walk threw.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just happen to be very well versed in the law - both common and statute.

I could post pics, as I have already prepared quite the extensive evidential file for court, if it goes that far.
The building inspector firm is the only firm serving the local counties around central PA, and happens to be the same inspection firm that the borough requested that I use. Would it be better if I contacted the state's housing authority to do the inspection instead of the firm requested (and, incidentally, the same inspector)?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just happen to be very well versed in the law - both common and statute.

I could post pics, as I have already prepared quite the extensive evidential file for court, if it goes that far.
The building inspector firm is the only firm serving the local counties around central PA, and happens to be the same inspection firm that the borough requested that I use. Would it be better if I contacted the state's housing authority to do the inspection instead of the firm requested (and, incidentally, the same inspector)?
No, I would do what I said and get an electrical contractor to do a walk threw, a home inspector means word means nothing as they are not actually qualified to say what is really a problem and what's not they merely give their opinions on the state of workmanship.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Lastly this thread will likely be closed as your not an electrician (best I can tell). So open the yellow pages and hire a pro may be the only and last advice u get, same advice I would give a friend out of state.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,513 Posts
If the town issued and occupancy permit prior to you moving in I would bet a dollar your outa luck.
If the town does a curtsy reinspection then I wouldn't be surprised if they issue a vacate notice until the unit is "Rendered inhabitable".
The landlord of course will have to ask you to move while repairs are preformed. Sorry that it "slipped" his mind to do these prior to you moving in.

I think you opened a can of worms and might as well look for a new place. BTW, if you have an electrical contractor come look, the cost will be yours.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What Borough are you in? I have a hard time believing that the Borough wants the building brought up to code. The only thing I have seen was GFI and smoke detectors installed. What is the inspection company

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Obviously a slumlord. Drop the neutral and GEC simultaiously on the service to blow out any appliances on moving day.

·
Senior Moment
1,136 Posts
Wow house has been around since 1920 and hasn't burnt to the ground yet. What is the real problem? Late on rent, have some one living in the house not on the lease, rent raised? Well versed on law but not an attorney?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.