Registered
IT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a newbie to the electrical trade.

Does anyone know what this symbol is?

Grey Rectangle Font Sleeve Monochrome photography

I haven't seen it before and also haven't been able to find it in NECA100_1999. I've attached the blueprint that contains it below. The blueprint is a cabling diagram for part of the second floor of a school, and I'm trying to produce an estimate of the cost of the project.

Thanks in advance,
James Pedersen

Attachments

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
3,448 Posts
In electrical drawings a down arrow head is an IEC style ground. An up arrow infilled is a power source or shows where it continues on another page.

Welcome to the weird wacky world of MEPs where anything goes as long as they put iron a drawing and you are dealing with college dropouts that learned Revit but don’t know a fuse panel for a switchboard.

It’s actually a valve symbol or part of one.

It looks like wall pack light fixtures. It’s not a standard symbol. Plot plans often don’t follow standards. Ask for the same mb index and the fixture schedule. The symbols are usually th third page of a print set. They are omitted if you say follow NFPA 79 (JIC). A fixture schedule or whatever those numbers are would give you the list:

They could also be receps or alarm horns or network ports. You just can’t tell:

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,018 Posts
I thought it looked like a valve symbol also. And they only appear at the AC units. Probably cabling for a building management system? It would be odd that cabling for an actual valve would be pulled to a TelData equipment rack? But then there is also notes for cabling for the Area Of Refuge. Around here the A.O.R. has to be in conduit back to the head end, and it can't have anything else in the conduit.

Check the mechanicals to see if you see the symbol.

·
Registered
IT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for trying to help me with this.

Full disclosure, this is actually an exercise that's part of a LinkedIn learning course about construction estimating (It's the course "Construction Estimating Takeoff" by Christopher Randall, see https://www.linkedin.com/learning/instructors/christopher-randall?u=0 ).

It seems like the instructor forgot to post both the symbols legend as well as a legend for the items "SM,JT 2 D" , "CC 21" , "CH 22" , etc. . So irritating...

·
Registered
IT
5 Posts

·
Registered
IT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On another note, does anyone know where I can find a completed and labeled set of blueprints for a lighting plan and cabling plan for a commercial property? I may want to try to work on the same exercise except with a different set of blueprints that I can actually understand.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,330 Posts
On another note, does anyone know where I can find a completed and labeled set of blueprints for a lighting plan and cabling plan for a commercial property? I may want to try to work on the same exercise except with a different set of blueprints that I can actually understand.
ask a contractor that recently did that work
he will probably keep that set for a few years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts