Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my name is Andrew, I am from NJ and I just turned 27 years old. I have been doing electric for the past 9 years, mostly residential and light commercial work. I have always wanted to become licensed since I've started, but never put my plan into action. I'm ready to start the process now that I'm getting older. I have no schooling background other than a high school diploma. Everything I've learned so far has been from hands on experience and my bosses/co-workers. I like to think of myself as a neat professional that has the trade down pretty good. I wouldn't do anything in another persons house that I wouldn't do in my own, I always abide by the rules and do my best when it comes to my work.

My question really is where do I start? Do I just now start my 4-year apprentice program? Do I buy some books and start studying? Do I take refresher courses? Do I sign up for the exam and give it a shot?

I'm really just looking for some guidance. Anything is welcome, so please feel free to offer any advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Hello guys, my name is Andrew, I am from NJ and I just turned 27 years old. I have been doing electric for the past 9 years, mostly residential and light commercial work. I have always wanted to become licensed since I've started, but never put my plan into action. I'm ready to start the process now that I'm getting older. I have no schooling background other than a high school diploma. Everything I've learned so far has been from hands on experience and my bosses/co-workers. I like to think of myself as a neat professional that has the trade down pretty good. I wouldn't do anything in another persons house that I wouldn't do in my own, I always abide by the rules and do my best when it comes to my work.

My question really is where do I start? Do I just now start my 4-year apprentice program? Do I buy some books and start studying? Do I take refresher courses? Do I sign up for the exam and give it a shot?

I'm really just looking for some guidance. Anything is welcome, so please feel free to offer any advice. Thanks in advance!
If you are really good at electrical work as you said, and are older, as you said, why not form a business and hire qualified licensed electricians to do the work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are really good at electrical work as you said, and are older, as you said, why not form a business and hire qualified licensed electricians to do the work?
You mean start an electrical contracting business and just sub out all the work?

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I do not know how it works where you are from. In NE you could take the test. Study hard and you are a J-man. Work for someone for 1 year and take the Masters if you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know how it works where you are from. In NE you could take the test. Study hard and you are a J-man. Work for someone for 1 year and take the Masters if you want.
Here you need 5 years in the trade, which I have. I always wondered what qualified someone as an apprentice, journeyman, etc. Is that based on education or experience?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
You mean start an electrical contracting business and just sub out all the work?
If you can estimate small work that you could do, it would most likely take two people to get it done. AND, if you really CAN estimate then go get more than one job, and hire another. Be honest with yourself and be prepared to NOT be a "side-jobber". You don't have to be a licensed electrician to send licensed electricians qualified to do the work to the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can estimate small work that you could do, it would most likely take two people to get it done. AND, if you really CAN estimate then go get more than one job, and hire another. Be honest with yourself and be prepared to NOT be a "side-jobber". You don't have to be a licensed electrician to send licensed electricians qualified to do the work to the job.
How would that work as far as insurance and advertising goes though? How do you legally work under someone else's license?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
How would that work as far as insurance and advertising goes though? How do you legally work under someone else's license?
You would need insurance to get a lot of jobs. If you are doing YOUR job as the boss you will not be doing the work. You will be combing the area for more work so you can hire more people or keeping who you hire busy. It is not hard to set up a business. It is hard to STAY in business if you are not as qualified as you say you are. I hope you do okay.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
You don't have to be a licensed electrician to send licensed electricians qualified to do the work to the job.
Yes actually here in NJ you do need a contractors license to engage in electrical contracting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You would need insurance to get a lot of jobs. If you are doing YOUR job as the boss you will not be doing the work. You will be combing the area for more work so you can hire more people or keeping who you hire busy. It is not hard to set up a business. It is hard to STAY in business if you are not as qualified as you say you are. I hope you do okay.
So more or less a "general contractor" for electrical. What would make a licensed electrician want to work for me and not just himself? The fact that I'm finding/feeding him work?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You need to go read the NJ state Web Page that clearly state what your requirements are.

Every State requirement is different and due to the nature of your work history
it might or might not be a plus or a minus to your situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to go read the NJ state Web Page that clearly state what your requirements are.

Every State requirement is different and due to the nature of your work history
it might or might not be a plus or a minus to your situation.
I know what the requirements are. I'm just simply looking for advice as to what to do in my situation.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Yes but a contractors license is simply a NJ Home Improvement license, correct?
No. You need to send an application to the Attorney Generals Board Of Electrical Examiners. Prove your experience and qualifications then take the test pay for your bond / busines license insurance etc.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
You can not engage in the business of electrical contracting without an electrical contractors license.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. You need to send an application to the Attorney Generals Board Of Electrical Examiners. Prove your experience and qualifications then take the test pay for your bond / busines license insurance etc.
You need to do that even if you wanted to sub contract electrical work?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I know what the requirements are. I'm just simply looking for advice as to what to do in my situation.
If you can study up and sit for the journeyman test, that would be my first step

*here you have to be a journeyman for a couple of years before you can take the EC exam. I'm not sure about your area*

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Yes actually here in NJ you do need a contractors license to engage in electrical contracting.
There are so many people out there who have the credentials but who choose not to be entrepreneurs that you can hire if you want. Do you think that every painting contractor was a painter?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
There are so many people out there who have the credentials but who choose not to be entrepreneurs that you can hire if you want. Do you think that every painting contractor was a painter?
WTF does that matter?

To get an EC license in NJ you need 5 years of verifiable trade experience as an electrician not a painter.

W0mp go to the state website NJ is a pretty unique beast and most of hat applies to other states don't apply here. Your gonna get all twisted up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts