Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I posted here a couple of time rambling about my life situation. I like to spare that from you guys for today.

I have been in the electrical trade doing resi work for about a month as a pre apprentice. I must say, its been a uphill battle till this point but in no way did it side track me off course in achieving my goals. Long story short, i recently got laid off and i have been looking for other work. In this process i looked into being a lineman and what needed to b done to qualify for this trade. I really dont find the job that appealing accept the fact they make great money. It seems to me that a lineman salary is double if not triple the national average in wages. Even though money is important, its also not everything and to find a career that can allow me to balance work and family is very important to me. So this then lead me to hvac. No matter what i research, i find people would prefer the heat and air industry over the electrical industry. Now, for electrical it seems your working yourself out of a job, which i don't like since job security is important but a hvac guy seem to never work himself out of a job even if he wanted to because of the amply work out there.

By the way I'm located in Toronto ontario and to the forum can you guy point out the pro's and con's between the 3 trades. Thank you for your time and advice.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Both have their pros and cons. I'd say they are about even.

Plumbers are next down the list because they sometimes have to deal with poo.

They are really all the same. Trying to get something from point A to point B and then back again.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I worked in HVAC/R as a summer job before I got into electrical. ..it is pretty interesting, lots of troubleshooting. But you are always on the wrong end of the rooftop unit lol. One of the only other trades I would choose aside from this one, although I hated working with sheetmetal!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
Hi,

I posted here a couple of time rambling about my life situation. I like to spare that from you guys for today.

I have been in the electrical trade doing resi work for about a month as a pre apprentice. I must say, its been a uphill battle till this point but in no way did it side track me off course in achieving my goals. Long story short, i recently got laid off and i have been looking for other work. In this process i looked into being a lineman and what needed to b done to qualify for this trade. I really dont find the job that appealing accept the fact they make great money. It seems to me that a lineman salary is double if not triple the national average in wages. Even though money is important, its also not everything and to find a career that can allow me to balance work and family is very important to me. So this then lead me to hvac. No matter what i research, i find people would prefer the heat and air industry over the electrical industry. Now, for electrical it seems your working yourself out of a job, which i don't like since job security is important but a hvac guy seem to never work himself out of a job even if he wanted to because of the amply work out there.

By the way I'm located in Toronto ontario and to the forum can you guy point out the pro's and con's between the 3 trades. Thank you for your time and advice.
The work is great for a young guy but, everything is heavy, greasy and dirty.
You are always in a crappy environment.

Plumbers, everything is either under or behind something or buried under ground.

Elevator work, same thing as mechanical.

Ours, you can find anything you like to do in our trade. Nothing wrong with cross training.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,643 Posts
I've done HVAC work for the first time this year, as part of remodeling/maintaining our buildings. Even the electrical side of thing is very different. Their schematics and wiring diagrams are drawn different than what I am used to. They're also a very "closed off" trade, trying to get parts, schematics, etc if you arent licensed is next to impossible. They go out of the way to discourage any sort of DIY beyond replacing a thermostat or filter. I've found it very interesting, and if I ever get any spare time (big laugh) I could see myself taking a class.

I get the impression the residential side isnt nearly as interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.