Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, New to this forum, Been looking around for a few days now though, And had a few questions on becoming a Electrician
Im only 18 years old and recently started University at Gmac in Edmonton, taking science and have decided that I don't want to to do it anymore, Really don't want to be in school for like 5+years, want to just start working and start saving money so one day I can eventually move out of my rents place and buy a house of my own.

Been interested in the Electrician program at NAIT, and was wondering if anyone has done the program and could give me information on as to what its like and how the difficulty level is,

Also I was thinking that since Im really young would any companies even bother hiring me?

I really want to become an electrician, seems like the perfect job,
Also iv been reading that electricians don't really have a stable job? As in you have to look for new jobs every now and then OR could you have a stable job working full time for the rest of your life?

I know it seems early but I really want to settle down and get married have kids blah blah blah. So having a stable career as an electrician is kind of mandatory for me since I can't really be moving to different cities to find jobs mainly because i Have a TON of family in E-Town, And what is the day in the life of an electrician in Alberta?

Is there really long hours, do you have to travel out of the cities frequently? How difficult is the training and the school work involved at NAIT? How much do you start making when you first start off? After 5-6 of experience? Is there a lot of demand of electricians in Alberta?

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
The city you speak of is good. Economy is good. Actually red hot they say. So like you I thought a job as an Electrician in Edmonton would be good.

The year was 1968. I was I guess 19.

Seemed to work. I'm still here although I did live in Calgary for a year or so.

Go for it. Check with 424 if you want Union. Wages are cast in stone. I'm not a union guy but have nothing against them.

Perhaps someone at your school knows someone there or at NAIT that can get you in?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello everyone, New to this forum, Been looking around for a few days now though, And had a few questions on becoming a Electrician
Im only 18 years old and recently started University at Gmac in Edmonton, taking science and have decided that I don't want to to do it anymore, Really don't want to be in school for like 5+years, want to just start working and start saving money so one day I can eventually move out of my rents place and buy a house of my own.

Been interested in the Electrician program at NAIT, and was wondering if anyone has done the program and could give me information on as to what its like and how the difficulty level is,

Also I was thinking that since Im really young would any companies even bother hiring me?

I really want to become an electrician, seems like the perfect job,
Also iv been reading that electricians don't really have a stable job? As in you have to look for new jobs every now and then OR could you have a stable job working full time for the rest of your life?

I know it seems early but I really want to settle down and get married have kids blah blah blah. So having a stable career as an electrician is kind of mandatory for me since I can't really be moving to different cities to find jobs mainly because i Have a TON of family in E-Town, And what is the day in the life of an electrician in Alberta?

Is there really long hours, do you have to travel out of the cities frequently? How difficult is the training and the school work involved at NAIT? How much do you start making when you first start off? After 5-6 of experience? Is there a lot of demand of electricians in Alberta?
well this should answer most of your questions

http://www.stumbleupon.com/home

i'm assuming the pre-employment program they offer will be teaching you the basics. dc fundamentals, wiring methods, level 1 code (almost all residential) blueprinting, trade specific math and sciences, maybe a computers and communications class.

i did one. it's really not a problem if you apply yourself, dont **** around and skip class, and try hard.

EC's hire greenhorns all the time. there's plenty of grunt/bitch work that needs to be done :laughing: you can drill holes, measure/cut/mount strut, do some basic pipe bending, build tray, do hardware runs, pull wire, mount boxes, carry heavy ass spools of wire up 3 flights of stairs ... sweep up! plenty for a greenie to do.

i work for an industrial company and it's lots of out of town work. i've done 8 hour days, all the way up to 16 hour days. ive worked on native reserves, and in grain silos. i've worked rotations like 7/7, 10/4, 24/4, 21/7 ... whatever is in the agreement. it's varied and dynamic work. kinda why i love it.

i imagine if you start out as a romex monkey you wont have to do lots of town work. i don't know i've not done much residential besides a few sidejobs hanging potlights for kitchen renos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts