Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to request insights into the requirements to provide emergency lighting unit in salt / sand sheds (100' x 50') which are classified under National Building Code of Canada major classification "F". These are low-hazard storage facilities which has a overhead door operator and manual door for entry/exit.

The NBCC mentions requirement to provide emergency lighting in "Principal routes providing access to exit in open floor areas". It does not specify applicable building classification types. I assume the manual door for entry/exit may classify as principal route providing access to exit, but I'm not sure if this mandates installation of an emergency lighting unit. So I thought to inquire if anyone familiar with installation of electrical distribution in salt / sand shed type facilities, would provide some insight into this requirement.

Thank you.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,632 Posts
We have wired a few salt/sand sheds.
Specifications ( government) called for standard weatherproof fixtures and Teck cable.
None of the sheds had man doors so there was no Exit requirements

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,892 Posts
Anything metal will get eaten up in there I suspect. if required to put in an exit sign, I would just find a plastic wall pack and install it above the door. There are no designated routes for exit because the sand / salt pile will change daily as it changes in size.

I have been in a few of these over the years, never wired one. Never have noticed any exit sign or emergency lighting in them either.

Cheers
John

·
Journeyman
176 Posts
Have wired about 10 of the new ones in ontario. Both the wooden style as well as the metal/tarp style.
We usually wire to a set of drawings, there havent been exits or emergency lights on any of the ones that I have done.

Door ops, a few plugs, highbays, fans for ventilation on a timer.
The odd one has brine pumps or CO detection connection.

Always done in PVC, expansions every 40'. Nema 4x Panels.

·
Registered
Professional Electrical Engineer, construction industry.
201 Posts
FYI, NBC is free and available online:

2020 National Building Code - FREE

The references are 3.2.7.3 / 9.9.12.3 for emergency lights, and 3.4.5.1 / 9.9.11.3 for exit signage.

In summary, emergency lights are required in every building except within individual dwelling units / houses / secondary suites. Exit signage is required in buildings that are more than 2 storeys, or have an occupancy load more than 150 people.

On a side note, most of our clients install exit signage even when the building code doesn't require it. It just looks too strange without exit signs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts