Electrician Talk banner

EMF on a pipe

6515 Views 37 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Bob Badger
It is about a EMF issue in my friend's house. I am using Trifield Gauss meter.
There is a pipe in the crawl space which is measured to be 25mG if I put the meter on it. It is 8mG one foot away. Let me call it pipe #1. The pipe #1 is small and is connected from Garage to swimming pool pump. It goes underground in the yard. I guess there are electricity wires inside the pipe because there is a box connected it which is supposed to be a wire box. Unfortunately, the pipe is just below two bedrooms. So the EMF readings in the two bedrooms are about 3mG in many spaces.
when I turn off the main power at the panel, to my surprise, the EMF reading of the pipe is not changed at all. I am sure the power to the house is cut off because the reading on PG&E(the utility vendor) meter is 0W. I also measured another pipe under the PG&E meter. let me call it pipe #2. It is 50mG if I put meter on it. The pipe #2 is supposed to carry electricity wires from street to the house. There is a small strand connecting the panel to the pipe. I guess the strand is a ground wire.
I measured the waterpipes in bathrooms. there is no big readings as pipe #1.
I need some help now.
1 After I turn off the panel, it is supposed that both pipe #1 and #2 to be 0 current on ground wire and other wires. So the EMF reading should be much less around the pipes. Is my understanding correct?
2 As I can still observe EMF on the pipes, I guess there is ground current on the pipes. Is there any other possibilities to have the same phenomena?
3 Is it useful if more ground electrodes are added in garage and crawl space and connect the pipe #1 to these ground electrodes?
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
4,457 Posts
It is about a EMF issue in my friend's house. I am using Trifield Gauss meter.
There is a pipe in the crawl space which is measured to be 25mG if I put the meter on it. It is 8mG one foot away. Let me call it pipe #1. The pipe #1 is small and is connected from Garage to swimming pool pump. It goes underground in the yard. I guess there are electricity wires inside the pipe because there is a box connected it which is supposed to be a wire box. Unfortunately, the pipe is just below two bedrooms. So the EMF readings in the two bedrooms are about 3mG in many spaces.
when I turn off the main power at the panel, to my surprise, the EMF reading of the pipe is not changed at all. I am sure the power to the house is cut off because the reading on PG&E(the utility vendor) meter is 0W. I also measured another pipe under the PG&E meter. let me call it pipe #2. It is 50mG if I put meter on it. The pipe #2 is supposed to carry electricity wires from street to the house. There is a small strand connecting the panel to the pipe. I guess the strand is a ground wire.
I measured the waterpipes in bathrooms. there is no big readings as pipe #1.
I need some help now.
1 After I turn off the panel, it is supposed that both pipe #1 and #2 to be 0 current on ground wire and other wires. So the EMF reading should be much less around the pipes. Is my understanding correct?
2 As I can still observe EMF on the pipes, I guess there is ground current on the pipes. Is there any other possibilities to have the same phenomena?
3 Is it useful if more ground electrodes are added in garage and crawl space and connect the pipe #1 to these ground electrodes?
Is it just because I'm still a newb, or is this guy speaking a different language?

What is a gauss meter, why would you use it?

EDIT: This?

A magnetometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the strength and/or direction of the magnetic field in the vicinity of the instrument. Magnetism varies from place to place and differences in Earth's magnetic field (the magnetosphere) can be caused by the differing nature of rocks and the interaction between charged particles from the Sun and the magnetosphere of a planet. Magnetometers are a frequent component instrument on spacecraft that explore planets.

· Registered
7,511 Posts
It is a legitimate tool used to locate some types of electrical wiring problems by detecting EMF by the sane, or to locate spirits and ghosts by the insane.

Some people and the World Health Organization believe that exposure to high EMFs can be unhealthy. I don't know if that is true but simple wiring mistakes can cause high EMF readings.

http://www.magneticsciences.com/Bell5100-Gaussmeters.html

· Registered
12,388 Posts
Is it just because I'm still a newb, or is this guy speaking a different language?

EDIT: This?
The gauss meter detects the strength of an electromagnetic field and he should ask all the neighbors who share the same source transformer to turn their main breakers off and then check. Good luck with that. By the way, I have one too and it is not for finding ghosts.

· Registered
2,413 Posts
1, yes that is correct
2, umm so what why should you care
3, NO Don't do that. You could get someone killed doing that. Electricity is not something to play around with just because you have a gauss meter.
There are many publications on proper grounding procedures. THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. Stop playing electrician and hire one instead.
From The tone of your question, you are at BEST, an apprentice. At worst, you called yourself an electrician to keep from getting kicked off the forum.
Which is it?

· Registered
12,388 Posts
1, yes that is correct
2, umm so what why should you care
3, NO Don't do that. You could get someone killed doing that. Electricity is not something to play around with just because you have a gauss meter.
There are many publications on proper grounding procedures. THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. Stop playing electrician and hire one instead.
From The tone of your question, you are at BEST, an apprentice. At worst, you called yourself an electrician to keep from getting kicked off the forum.
Which is it?
You are right. The gauss meter is not for that purpose. But he does have extraneous currents on the piping system, possibly. He needs someone qualified.

· felonious smile.
15,896 Posts
Maybe it wasn't electric current giving you that reading....might be an unseen freind down there with you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.