Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have thier service crews fill out a site arrival checklist?

We currently issue our crews a Work Order to capture material, labour etc. We have batted around producing a second part to our work orders.

It could include:
Site inspection for safety - ie Are the any safty harzards present?
Are controls in place for them...
Was a supervisor made aware if not.. etc

Questions like... Where all panel and junction covers replaced?
Did the keys returned?
Where pictures taken of completed work?
Was the customer made aware of job completion status?

Maybe a spot for the client to review job.
Rate employees

Place for customer to sign, and have copy

Just looking for some input, seems like a great idea on alot of levels but not many if any do it atleast in our area.

Those who do it, is it productive?
Did your employees buy in?

Any examples?

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
90% of the crap we do is a pain in the ass and I am sure most of us would love to not have to do it. I guess we are all losers and should be fired!:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
714 Posts

We currently issue our crews a Work Order to capture material, labour etc. We have batted around producing a second part to our work orders.

It could include:

Did the keys returned?

Rate employees

Just looking for some input, seems like a great idea on alot of levels but not many if any do it atleast in our area.

Any examples?

Thanks Brian
I worked for a company that had an explaination what all when into a service call on the back of the carbon work report.
So they know that there is more to it, then just the work they see you do.

Reactions: buddyyemen

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

It could include:

Did the keys returned?

Rate employees

Any examples?

Thanks Brian
I think that this is counter productive,Think of all the time this will eat up and mind numbing head ache of having to fill out all that crap on every job,also how long will it take until YOU get sick and tired of reading them?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Our service guys have a checklist that they fill out on each job to ensure all the little details are not overlooked. We also include along with the basics like covers replaced, trash removed the added check that a magnet was attached to panel and promotional material provided to client along with a comment card .

·
13,020 Posts
This sounds like a great idea and will have the added benefit of weeding out the dead wood who wont fill it out because they think it is a pain in the ass.
Yeah like all of your 50s-style service station attendant "technicians" fill those things out all spiffy and neat in cursive with a fountain pen.

If this sort of thing started up at any shop, most of the guys would blow through it in 30 seconds or just lie on it. "Yep, yep, did that, yep, all good, time to clock out!"

Otherwise they wouldn't have time to shine their shoes.

Reactions: tryme

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Our service guys have a checklist that they fill out on each job to ensure all the little details are not overlooked. We also include along with the basics like covers replaced, trash removed the added check that a magnet was attached to panel and promotional material provided to client along with a comment card .
Hand the clipboard to the helper.

Check,Check,Check,Check,Check,Check,Check,Check,,,,,Check,,, ,Check,Check,:laughing:

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
You're Fired....:laughing:
Not the first time!:laughing:

I don't think I would enjoy every little thing of my working day being absolutely utterly micromanaged to smothering depths, so I guess I wouldn't want to do the same to my guys.

But......whatever works for one might not work for another. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Yeah like all of your 50s-style service station attendant "technicians" fill those things out all spiffy and neat in cursive with a fountain pen.

If this sort of thing started up at any shop, most of the guys would blow through it in 30 seconds or just lie on it. "Yep, yep, did that, yep, all good, time to clock out!"

Otherwise they wouldn't have time to shine their shoes.
not every electrician has a bad attitude and we have been doing this for over a year and the techs understand why it gets done and how it is a benefit to them.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Not the first time!:laughing:

I don't think I would enjoy every little thing of my working day being absolutely utterly micromanaged to smothering depths, so I guess I wouldn't want to do the same to my guys.

But......whatever works for one might not work for another. :thumbsup:
I worked for a guy like that back in the 80's and it became routine just check off everything and in the end no one read them,they just went into a file cabinet and later tossed away.

·
13,020 Posts
pencil whipping the form does not happen.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yeah ****ing right :rolleyes:

I worked for a guy like that back in the 80's and it became routine just check off everything and in the end no one read them,they just went into a file cabinet and later tossed away.
That is one inevitable truth with added bureaucracy.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
rewire said:
Our techs are hired for attitude as well as ability so pencil whipping the form does not happen.
Techs? What happened to just being an electrician. When I hear technician I laugh. I guess it's easier to hire people who like titles more than money. Lol.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.