Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,399 Posts
I think this is one of those old wives tales that people start to believe are in the NEC or CEC. 3/4 bends about as easy as 1/2 and the cost difference is marginal and if you only run 3/4, you only need to keep 1 size of fittings. So after a while guys just begin to think it's a rule.
When you have one of those oh boy moments, you can pull severalteen #14s in them to get you out of a jam.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,923 Posts
I have worked lots of jobs and facilities that 3/4 was the min. Interestingly I rarely saw anyone pull another wire in any of the conduits. The stories I got were, in case you needed to add a circuit.

·
Estwing magic
27,421 Posts
These questions usually come from apprentices who confuse engineering requirements with electrical code.

On a typical job, electrical requirements are outlined in Division 16 of the drawings and can be over and above basic code requirements. Material specifications can be contained elsewhere and on the fixture schedule.

I might be telling you something you already know so just take it as information. 😊

·
Estwing magic
27,421 Posts
I've definitely used 1/2" EMT in commercial before. IIRC, it was in scenarios where exposed lighting required octagon boxes with 1/2" knockouts.

It also feels really silly to me to run 3/4" if you're only pulling 2 wires.
It might be silly to pull two wires through 1/2 when you can push it through 3/4 with a little bit of lube.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
3/4" minimum is just a common spec to allow for adding of circuits and generally for the amount of fill required at most commercial jobs. You won't get away with derating very much with 1/2''. Anymore, the only time I see it is for little runs for controls of some kind.

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
I think this is one of those old wives tales that people start to believe are in the NEC or CEC. 3/4 bends about as easy as 1/2 and the cost difference is marginal and if you only run 3/4, you only need to keep 1 size of fittings. So after a while guys just begin to think it's a rule.
When you have one of those oh boy moments, you can pull severalteen #14s in them to get you out of a jam.
The difference in cost is almost 60%. If you have the opportunity to use 1/2” you certainly should.
We have a job now that is minimum 3/4” with insulated throat fittings. It’s very wasteful.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,526 Posts
I use 1/2 all the time. No need to bend anything bigger then you need for a job.
Of course if you bend 1 1/4 by hand for a week and the next day 1/2, it feels so wrong bending a 90.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
1/2" must be popular cause I never saw any strictly 3/4" ko steel boxes for sale at Home Depot...............

I actually find it so much easier to bend 3/4" emt, since my body has over 50 years of become one with the 3/4" bender, kind of like the Samorai warrior and his slice and dice sword.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts