Electrician Talk banner

emt and rt fittings not fitting together

974 Views 28 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  tmessner
One of my guys came this morning with a piece of 1/2" emt and a 1/2" rt coupling and showed me how it fit together. It did not slide together until I wiggled and jiggled and complained a lot. Is anybody else having trouble with raintight fittings sliding onto emt. We are using Wheatland brand pipe and Topaz fittings. We had a piece of Silverslick® pipe that did not seem to be as bad.
Are we the only ones having trouble. It seems like when they went to the rt fittings with the gland inside that things got really bad. I think that some of guys are taking them apart and throwing the phasic gland away do the water can get back out after it gets rained on.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Electrical and communications contractor, New York NEC 2017
2,621 Posts
I've had that problem with Topaz. You have to make sure there are no burrs on the cut end. Ream it like you are a plumber. Then I remember taking the connector or coupling apart and putting the ring on then the nut. Big PITA!

-Hal

· Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,666 Posts
I've found it lines all the parts of the connector up better if you adjust the nut just barely snug. Then you have a better chance of the pipe sling in. Too loose, and any movement of the pieces inside will jam.

Yes, they are a PITA.

Reactions: wiz1997

· Hackenschmidt
14,410 Posts
I have had this problem. I called Bridgeport and they were very helpful. I was using Wheaton conduit and it was really heavy walled for EMT, but the conduit was at the top of the spec range for OD. The fittings have to be made to seal on conduit the whole range of acceptable ODs. So I had to take the fittings apart and put the rings on separately, which does waste some time.

If it's close, you might be able to use a deburring tool in an impact driver and deburr the conduit a little more than necessary, and deburr the factory ends - that will bevel the end a bit and might be just enough that they go together.

Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part Metal Trigger

· Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,622 Posts
Are we talking about true RT fittings that are gasketed or the common compression fitting that we used to call RT?

· Registered
6,824 Posts
Are we talking about true RT fittings that are gasketed or the common compression fitting that we used to call RT?
Not 100% positive, but I think regular compression couplings/connectors stopped being code compliant for outdoor use a few code cycles back. Most people now use the actual rain tight stuff with the blue or yellow gaskets.

Another thing that was totally code compliant since the dawn of time but for some reason the clowns that make the code books decided they weren’t acceptable anymore.

· Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,622 Posts
Not 100% positive, but I think regular compression couplings/connectors stopped being code compliant for outdoor use a few code cycles back. Most people now use the actual rain tight stuff with the blue or yellow gaskets.

Another thing that was totally code compliant since the dawn of time but for some reason the clowns that make the code books decided they weren’t acceptable anymore.
I've never seen (in person) or touched one of the "new" RT fittings, they still have that split ring in them? Where does the gasket/o'ring (what ever makes it RT) go in the fitting?

· Registered
6,824 Posts
I've never seen (in person) or touched one of the "new" RT fittings, they still have that split ring in them? Where does the gasket/o'ring (what ever makes it RT) go in the fitting?
There’s a gasket on the inside. Kinda like a sealtight connector, except it fits over pipe.

Nothing really to it. Except that a 1/2” coupling is like $8 or something.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I use a Rigid 205 tubing cutter with a special wheel for cutting steel tubing. It leaves a small rounded chamfer on the cut end, which is ideal finish, burr free and very clean cut. The drawback is you need to use the built in reamer blade to cut off the internal rolled in ridge to protect the wire insulation. Been using that method for years before the new style raintite fittings came into existence.

https://salsify-ecdn.com/images/197984efd541d7dc0a7488d57fd33dc8.png

· Registered
1,059 Posts
If you use the tubing cutter and cut only partway through the wall and snap the tubing off at the score line, it leaves a slightly bigger smoother radius on the cut ends with minimal effort. The Rigid cutter works onEMT conduit from 1/2 to 2”

· Registered
6,824 Posts
If you use the tubing cutter and cut only partway through the wall and snap the tubing off at the score line, it leaves a slightly bigger smoother radius on the cut ends with minimal effort. The Rigid cutter works onEMT conduit from 1/2 to 2”
Your serious? How much pipe are you running a day like that??????

A sawzall and 4 twists with a reamer is 1000x faster

· Registered
Electrician
2,599 Posts
The new RT fittings are a pain. They have a one piece plastic seal. Most of the time i have to take it all apart. Never had an issue with standard compression fittings. I cut all EMT now with my m18 metal saw and ream with the one shown above. Super fast for cutting.

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem we are having is getting the nut to slide over the tubing without a lot of wiggle and jiggle. When I asked this morning about a reamer my employee said he has been using the Klein one for many years. It seems like something is not sized properly our is out of round.

· Registered
50 Posts
One of my guys came this morning with a piece of 1/2" emt and a 1/2" rt coupling and showed me how it fit together. It did not slide together until I wiggled and jiggled and complained a lot. Is anybody else having trouble with raintight fittings sliding onto emt. We are using Wheatland brand pipe and Topaz fittings. We had a piece of Silverslick® pipe that did not seem to be as bad.
Are we the only ones having trouble. It seems like when they went to the rt fittings with the gland inside that things got really bad. I think that some of guys are taking them apart and throwing the phasic gland away do the water can get back out after it gets rained on.
Why EMT and not PVC with expansion couplings as required in the Raintite area?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts