Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on an inspector forum and one inspector asked the forum if an electrician was in violation because he had not ran a ground in with his hot and neutral in a EMT conduit leaving the panel.no one asked what kind of KO it left through or if it had a bonding bushing. . can EMT be the ground?all replies said the EMT was acceptable for grounding

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I was on an inspector forum and one inspector asked the forum if an electrician was in violation because he had not ran a ground in with his hot and neutral in a EMT conduit leaving the panel.no one asked what kind of KO it left through or if it had a bonding bushing. . can EMT be the ground?
250.120 Equipment Grounding Conductor Installation. An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed in accordance with 250.120(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Raceway, Cable Trays, Cable Armor, Cablebus, or Cable Sheaths. Where it consists of a raceway, cable tray, cable armor, cablebus framework, or cable sheath or where it is a wire within a raceway or cable, it shall be installed in accordance with the applicable provisions in this Code using fittings for joints and terminations approved for use with the type raceway or cable used. All connections, joints, and fittings shall be made tight using suitable tools.
Informational Note:  See the UL guide information on FHIT systems for equipment grounding conductors installed in a raceway that are part of an electrical circuit protective system or a fire-rated cable listed to maintain circuit integrity.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
It causes me alarm to read that an inspector would say that. Then again there are local amendments in places that deviate from the NEC in large degree so maybe that is what he is thinking about.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It causes me alarm to read that an inspector would say that. Then again there are local amendments in places that deviate from the NEC in large degree so maybe that is what he is thinking about.

well its nothing new that we think inspectors are ill equipped for the job. it should be a mandatory 15 year background as an electrician to be an inspector. i think i can count 3 that ive known that know there stuff.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
Be careful just because the nec says it is does not mean you always can. For instance if the electrical engineer specs on plans that an equipment grounding conductor must be used then you must follow the accepted plan.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Be careful just because the nec says it is does not mean you always can. For instance if the electrical engineer specs on plans that an equipment grounding conductor must be used then you must follow the accepted plan.
Perhaps, but can a municipal electrical inspector police the electrician's compliance with the contract drawings and specifications? I don't think so.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
Perhaps, but can a municipal electrical inspector police the electrician's compliance with the contract drawings and specifications? I don't think so.
Absolutely they can. If the plans have gone thru the inspections dept and have been accepted then they are accepted as written. Unless the engineer asks for the change to be made you must install the equipment grounding conductor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
IslandGuy said:
Legally the inspector is required to assure the compliance with the approved plans and specifications. And the contractor is obligated to construct to them.

In reality, if the contractor does not point out variances from the code in the plans and specs to the inspector, most of them are too over tasked to catch the requirements that vary from code minimums.

The scary part is even if the inspector misses a call out for most of the job and catches it when you are nearly buttoned up and off the job, they can make you go back and comply.

In most states the Designer who sealed the document is responsible for assuring compliance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I thought I had researched this before. Obviously I'm mistaken, I do remember plenty of times I looked up and the cunduits weren't connected anymore. So i started putting the sized ground I need in the conduit..guess I need to start making payments to my boss for all the ground wire I ve wasted.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thanks, I thought I had researched this before. Obviously I'm mistaken, I do remember plenty of times I looked up and the cunduits weren't connected anymore. So i started putting the sized ground I need in the conduit..guess I need to start making payments to my boss for all the ground wire I ve wasted.
its not a waist at all, more security. the company i work for, we dont pull a ground unless speced, its kind of sketchey because your relying on everyone tightening there fittings which some people have a hard time doing.so the suplementary bond wire is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.