Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that has notice that for some strange reason that switchgear building manufacturing companies run conduit in buildings that it is always strapped with Minnerallac Straps.
Personally I think it looks like a pig farmer run the conduit . Conduit should be fastened tight to the wall and if there are multiple runs it should be put in strut.

LC

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Am I the only one that has notice that for some strange reason that switchgear building manufacturing companies run conduit in buildings that it is always strapped with Minnerallac Straps.
Personally I think it looks like a pig farmer run the conduit . Conduit should be fastened tight to the wall and if there are multiple runs it should be put in strut.

LC
Is it an Out Side Block Wall or cement Poured ?

I still prefer Unislut for a solid install . Minnerallac look like **** , I agree .
Some times I run **** behind it .

We are picky ?

Pete

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Strut is the way to go but I'd go with Minnie's before one hole straps. Pipes tight to the wall like to collect dust, grease, water, steel shavings, and all sorts of other stuff. Some plant guys like to spray their area down every once in a while

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Just noticed the title. Yeah if it's a switchgear room I doubt it's getting sprayed down ever. I'd still use Minnie's though just because its easier to spin rigid together or tighten compression fittings

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

LC
Electrically safe and mechanically sound...and approved for the purpose is all that is required.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Strut is the way to go but I'd go with Minnie's before one hole straps. Pipes tight to the wall like to collect dust, grease, water, steel shavings, and all sorts of other stuff. Some plant guys like to spray their area down every once in a while
I've used minnie's when convenient. But you make a good point about the gunk build up, never thought about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

LC
Manufactures look at cost and use unskilled labor, both lean towards them using minerallacs and unless the owners see an issue with the method, which from a practical stand point there is no issue, this is what you will continue to see.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Not to hijack but I don't think the choice of fastener reflects on the skill of the installer whatsoever. The situation should determine the method. If anything, I think it can be more difficult with Minnie's; if you don't nail a bend it will show much easier. With one holes you can just smash it against the wall and call it good, then it's one of those spring loaded runs that you feel bad for whoever has to take it apart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.