Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys pull a ground with your feeders or rely on the conduit?

Going through a J-box also. I can't seem to find a reference to concentric knockouts in the CEC like the NEC guys talk about but probably a good idea for a bonding bushing anyway.

I've never done that but cost isn't a big factor and I suppose connections could come loose.

Opinions?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'd personally pull a ground, code wise, set screw conns with locknuts are all that are required, most would atleast use bonding bushing,

It will be in section 10 if you actually want to look up the code rules

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,070 Posts
Lately, a lot of the engineers are specifying a ground in all conduit.
I have to agree with them , as I have noticed a combination of either loose locknuts, loose set screws or water-tite glands, or even stripped set screws.
Most of the faults are plain old crappy workmanship:censored:

·
Registered
223 Posts
100% agree, I'm not a fan of EMT (seems to always come loose after a couple years), since I work in Industrial its mainly Teck Cable / Tray or Ridgid, again in Industrial we ground everything atleast 4 times it seems, so we almost always have a ground pulled into the conduit,

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I use an EGC with a lot of grounding bushings, and G-lugs along the way

Because a fault will follow all paths, relative to R

~CS~

·
Registered
385 Posts
As far a concentric ko's, I'm not sure about CEC but the NEC does not specifically address this as far as I know. It is a listing thing that you have to turn to the white book for the answer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Not required by any means but pulling a bond is always preferred IMO .
The quality of connectors has gotten terrible . You can almost push them through the ko,s , no shoulder to tighten against anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
798 Posts
I Never install a bond wire in Electrical Mettalic Tubing unless the code or the specification requires it. Unless someone will pay for the bond wire I am not providing a free one.

As to the function of EMT in a fault? it is the bonding path and the overcurrent protection will not work correctly if the set screws, and locknuts are no tight so I treat the raceway like a bonding wire and ensure it is working.

Even when installed, the bonding wire will only carry %50 of the fault when the raceway is correctly installed but yes it does ensure good continuity. To me a broken raceway is just like cutting off the bonding wire so I really take the installationof the pipe as primary safety wire.

·
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the circuit a couple of hours ago. Did as I always did, - no ground wire.

However I did run the conduit. I ran it like my signature. I'm not concerned.

I did think of Teck. I just couldn't do. It's too bad electricians have come to that.

Anyway 80 feet of 1" conduit, a few offsets, some unistrut, couple of 90 degree bends and two kicks. Wire brushed the heck out of my old benders (rust) so I could see the marks.

Pulled live too. Just like the old days. POS main panel too. 5 feet high, slide things hold the cover on, ug!

No pics for you guys :).

Take my word for it, she looks pro.

Now to figure out if I made $20 an hour, but hey, I'm sleeping with a smile on my face. Got stuck doing resi for too many years. Feel good about this one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Felt like leaving the office for a bit today, been working with one of the electrical engineers for trip kit (relay) settings, on the some of the substation breakers, had to take a break.

So I worked with our 1st yr app, splitting up the green team, for the day (our 1st yr app and 1st yr Jman are usually paired together). Put the 1st yr Jman with the 2nd yr Jman, for a while and split off the Senior shift electrician for some time away from the million questions about everything game.

We ran some EMT outside the Admin Buildings, showed him a few things on bending EMT, strapping etc. We ran a #14 ground with our #12 RW9 BLK and WH, couldn't care about the cost. It will end up being about 0.0000001% of my monthly electrical budget, when we have to re-order a 300m roll of #14 T90 green.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Forgot to mention I so badly wanted to screw Teck 90 cable to the side of the Admin building to make it look more like the plant, but I thought it would be good for the 1st yr app to learn something, we probably won't do again for months if not years.

Forgot how EMT bends like butter compared to even Ridgid alum. I could just about bend it by thinking about it, not quite through, so close.

·
Estwing magic
26,374 Posts
I pulled the circuit a couple of hours ago. Did as I always did, - no ground wire.

However I did run the conduit. I ran it like my signature. I'm not concerned.

I did think of Teck. I just couldn't do. It's too bad electricians have come to that.

Anyway 80 feet of 1" conduit, a few offsets, some unistrut, couple of 90 degree bends and two kicks. Wire brushed the heck out of my old benders (rust) so I could see the marks.

Pulled live too. Just like the old days. POS main panel too. 5 feet high, slide things hold the cover on, ug!

No pics for you guys :).

Take my word for it, she looks pro.

Now to figure out if I made $20 an hour, but hey, I'm sleeping with a smile on my face. Got stuck doing resi for too many years. Feel good about this one.
I know what you mean. I just bent pipe for the first time in two years. It felt good. It was on a resi job. Bending pipe outside on the driveway and the other trades looked at me like I was from outer space.

I enjoy these renovation jobs but sometimes they get boring.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,070 Posts
I know what you mean. I just bent pipe for the first time in two years. It felt good. It was on a resi job. Bending pipe outside on the driveway and the other trades looked at me like I was from outer space.

I enjoy these renovation jobs but sometimes they get boring.
Bought a roll of NMD yesterday and the wholesaler asked if I knew how to install the stuff:laughing:. First resi job in about 4 years, just hope we remember how to thread the ends lol:laughing:

·
Estwing magic
26,374 Posts
Bought a roll of NMD yesterday and the wholesaler asked if I knew how to install the stuff:laughing:. First resi job in about 4 years, just hope we remember how to thread the ends lol:laughing:
I hope you bought a bag of Wagos to go with that NMD :) .

·
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forgot to mention I so badly wanted to screw Teck 90 cable to the side of the Admin building to make it look more like the plant, but I thought it would be good for the 1st yr app to learn something, we probably won't do again for months if not years.
That was darn nice of you. Stuff like that should happen more but the dollar rules I guess.

Now your 1st. year is out looking for conduit jobs. :laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts