Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy calls me up who lives out in the country, he phones me and says he extended a drain from a wet well to the far corner of the property. It's a plastic/PVC drain pipe he got from some guy and he ran it 6 ft underground 80ft long. At the end of the run it goes up to the surface to spread the water out.

To prevent the end of the drain run from freezing where it goes up to the surface in the winter, they put a heat trace around the last 10-15ft of the run.

The heat trace has melted this drain pipe. So he calls and asks if he can use some of my 2" electrical conduit at the end of the run so that it doesn't melt.

Anyone used EMT or rigid as a drain pipe and heated it with a heat trace before? Farmers Rules. Lol I thought this would be good for the forum.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
galvanized rigid rusts on the inside, and eventually will clog up. EMT just rusts away period. I would think he would be better off with concrete pipe or ductile iron. just my 02

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that stuff ever freeze if water was inside? I'm asking cause how would you heat it then.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
Would that stuff ever freeze if water was inside? I'm asking cause how would you heat it then.
same way you heated the stuff that melted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts