Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your looking to do some wiring on a residential job, outdoor, open rafter.

Would you use EMT or rope it in UF?

Also the carport is being converted to a garage. Same thing, open rafters. not sure how they are framing this one.

I am giving a bid on this one and I am figuring UF would be quicker and cheaper.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Can't you wait until it's a closed in garage & do rx , pipe down in emt to 4' rec's & switches?

~CS~

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't you wait until it's a closed in garage & do rx , pipe down in emt to 4' rec's & switches?

~CS~
I would have like to have seen the framing finished before I bid. I may get by with NM in the garage.

I do know the wall studs will not be covered. At least that is what I was told.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Well can't you bid on finished and dried in, xtra if they change it Shock?

~CS~

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
open rafters i would use emt rats like to chew thru uf/romex

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started this job today. I would rather have everything done by others before I began this job. So I worked in the garage. I decided on NM and EMT. Will use the EMT for the coach lights once the GDO is installed, since the roller brackets will be supported by the columns that I will run my EMT down.

There was already EMT from the panel into the garage. This JB has the spare 3 wire I found in the panel. I came out of it with 3 wire NM for the GDO and a switch leg for the interior lights.

I tucked it behind the beam which is over 12' high. and then brought it into the original light box.

I fished a wire from the original light box down near the door opening.
I will come from this location and make 2 EMT drops to the coach lights on either side of the door.

They are suppose to frame the porch Monday so I will or should be back Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That install makes no sense. EMT and Romex running side by side and are both new? I would wager you spent more money trying to make that one box do every thing than a 1900, an octogon, and a proper light with base would have cost. Even if that's not the case it would have looked loads better for practically nothing.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
aftershockews said:
If your looking to do some wiring on a residential job, outdoor, open rafter. Would you use EMT or rope it in UF? Also the carport is being converted to a garage. Same thing, open rafters. not sure how they are framing this one. I am giving a bid on this one and I am figuring UF would be quicker and cheaper.
there's a critical sequence of operations and scheduling for what we do . Jumping in before framing is done , or the owners grand plan of what they want , will bite you more often than not . It's like installing a freestanding service , then a builder buts a house up to it , lol ! As far as Romex and pipe , I'd do either / or , but not both . I'd hold off on doing anymore until you get more information or you may end up ripping out more than you install .

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That install makes no sense. EMT and Romex running side by side and are both new? I would wager you spent more money trying to make that one box do every thing than a 1900, an octogon, and a proper light with base would have cost. Even if that's not the case it would have looked loads better for practically nothing.
Other than the 12/3 NM, and the 14/2 NM, everything else was already installed by someone else.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there's a critical sequence of operations and scheduling for what we do . Jumping in before framing is done , or the owners grand plan of what they want , will bite you more often than not . It's like installing a freestanding service , then a builder buts a house up to it , lol ! As far as Romex and pipe , I'd do either / or , but not both . I'd hold off on doing anymore until you get more information or you may end up ripping out more than you install .
No further work will be done in the garage until the siding has been installed and the GDO as well.

Figured I might as well get the GDO receptacle installed and working.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts