Electrician Talk banner

emt outdoors

30K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  dowmace 
#1 ·
is there a seal that goes w/ emt compression fittings to make it rain tight ? or is no good to use emt where it may be subject to rain

#3 · (Edited)
you can use regular compression fittings I do not know of a brand that isn't considered rain tight, although I know steel city makes a water proof compression fitting that is similar to a ltmf fitting that is what I prefer. If you can wait a little bit I can get you a part number from my steel city book when I get home.

edit: they do not off the water proof fitting anymore apparently, I can't find it in my new 2008 steel city book but it is in the 2006 i keep in the van. I find it odd that they would discontinue it, but alas I doubt many were used as a plain ol' compression does fine.

#11 ·
I don;t really see the need for raintight since a RMC install typically isn;t anymore raintight that emp with standard compression fittings BUT NEC does require them if using EMT where it would be required.

I do not like PVC above ground, especially where it is expsoed to temp swing. The coefficient of expansion is too great and it ends up looking like crap. EMT is about 1/5 the cost of RMC so cost becomes an issue real quick.

#12 ·
What is the task your trying to accomplish? Why not PVC if water is an issue? Could you use sealtite if an RMC can't be used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.