Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a building code against installing conduit through a fire pump room . This is at a hotel, and I am installing 2 emt conduits through a fire pump room that will be going outside to feed equipment.
The conduits are just passing through

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
ponyboy said:
Without looking i can't see why it'd be an issue as long as everything got firecaulked. Check 695
It's the union boys getting local building codes amended.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I never heard of any restrictions for fire pump room. It might be a good idea to use compression fittings in the room.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Is there a building code against installing conduit through a fire pump room . This is at a hotel, and I am installing 2 emt conduits through a fire pump room that will be going outside to feed equipment.
The conduits are just passing through
I have not read the code about this but have worked in a few pump rooms and they always smell of extreme humidity. That's the nature of the beast. Why not just use schedule 40 and be done with it?

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
BBQ said:
Even though the fire pump motor and controller are not for wet locations?
695.12(E)

Comp fittings would be moot as long as this rule was followed

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Even though the fire pump motor and controller are not for wet locations?
:blink:

All of the fire pump control cabinets I've ever seen are 3R rated enclosures. I'm not sure about the motor ratings, but with the amount of water that is usually present when the pump runs (I've never seen a pump running that didn't have leaking seals/packing) I would imagine that the motors are also rated for wet locations.

However, I was wrong once before. I guess it could happen again, but not likely.:thumbup:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
:blink:

All of the fire pump control cabinets I've ever seen are 3R rated enclosures. I'm not sure about the motor ratings, but with the amount of water that is usually present when the pump runs (I've never seen a pump running that didn't have leaking seals/packing) I would imagine that the motors are also rated for wet locations.

However, I was wrong once before. I guess it could happen again, but not likely.:thumbup:
I agree the cabinets are often 3r type, but often the controls and displays mounted to the face do not appear to be.

I could be wrong about that.

Never the less a fire pump room is not a wet location, if it is we always install the wrong kind of lighting, receptacles, fire alarm equipment etc.

·
Freelance Estimator
16 Posts
I'm talking cost not code. If he's adding onto existing then he'd follow the existing. I'd have priced it as GRC in a NYC Fire Pump room.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Here is a pretty typical fire pump room we work in, this one is a Lowes

Wow.....creepy. These pics could have been taken in any room that I have done the fire alarm install on. Same positioning of my monitoring/alarm modules... same way I loop all my cables under the piping to hook up the valve switches. Almost identical:thumbsup:

Good looking work is what I'm trying to say here:laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts