Other Euro electrical rates $USD/kWh:
Denmark $0.40
Belgium $0.29
Netherlands $0.29
Ireland $0.28
Italy $0.28
Sweden $0.27
Switzerland $0.25

My province gets over 95% of it's energy from renewables and it only costs $0.08/kWh.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
That was 74% for a specific point in time and points out one of the biggest problems with renewables. There average from renewables is about 27%, but that is an average, there will be times when the renewable production is much less than 27%. The have to have conventional sources to make up that difference. Often there are rapid changes in the availability of power from the renewables, and to avoid outages, the conventional systems have to actually be on "spinning reserve".

The key to make renewables really work will be cheap, efficient storage, which appears to be off in the future.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Damn that's cheaper than most parts of Hawaii, USA!! :thumb up:

Other Euro electrical rates $USD/kWh:
Denmark $0.40
Belgium $0.29
Netherlands $0.29
Ireland $0.28
Italy $0.28
Sweden $0.27
Switzerland $0.25

My province gets over 95% of it's energy from renewables and it only costs $0.08/kWh.

I wish we could get ours for $0.08/kWh. We are paying $0.14 per kWh.
14cents per kWh.....a base charge of $34.80 per month just for the privilege of having a meter on our house, and an a charge of $12.65/month to go into an infrasturcture fund. Yet Emera, who owns NS Power makes millions and millions of dollars in profit every year.
They are also the inspection authority and issue all electrical permits for the province.

Getting ripped off here:censored::censored::censored:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Eh, Godzilla aside, I'm still a big fan of nukes.

Unless and until we get storage worked out, or get enough renewables country-wide and enough transmission that different regions with high generation can carry the base load for others with low generation, I don't see other solutions.

You will enjoy reading this, it's a long read but it looks like nuclear power will be with us a long time..:thumbsup:

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Country-Profiles/Countries-A-F/France/

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
France is actually one of the better regulated nuke states....~CS~
One of the things that they did, that we didn't do, is have a common design. We had multiple designs and that drove up the construction costs.
Of course they made improvements as they learned more about the operation of the nukes, but even that was lower cost than here because they were working with only one basic design.

There have been a number of articles in industrial control magazines recently about new modular nukes of 15 to 50 megawatt capacity. A factory built system that requires little local infrastructure, and one is air, not water cooled. Two companies in the US are working on design and getting those designs approved by the NRC.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Eh, Godzilla aside, I'm still a big fan of nukes.

Unless and until we get storage worked out, or get enough renewables country-wide and enough transmission that different regions with high generation can carry the base load for others with low generation, I don't see other solutions.
Another Fukushima?

Attachments

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Another Fukushima?
I'd take that risk, especially since as Don mentioned there are a lot of other reactor designs out there. Check out Pebble Bed reactors that are supposed to be fail-safe.

I think our inherent fear of all-things-nuclear keeps us from making important developments. The irony is that it is hardly the safest solution to keep 40 year old nuclear plants limping along instead of decommissioning them to allow better designs.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Barclays Has The Best Explanation Yet Of How Solar Will Destroy America's Electric Utilities

In a new note, a Barclays team led by Y.C. Koh says the industry is finally facing its day of reckoning, from a source many have long dismissed as an unviable pipe dream: solar.

Specifically, the threat is residential solar — that is, people creating their own electricity.

To prove that the threat is real this time, Barclays is downgrading its electric sector rating to "underweight" from "market weight."

"The regulatory responses to the growing competitive threat from solar + storage may prove inadequate to address potential strains to the credit profiles of issuers in these states," it writes.

There are two main reasons solar is finally for real, the group says. The first is that for more than a decade, there's been a huge push from governments around the world, and at every level, to subsidize renewables. Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) estimates that the annual output of PV modules increased almost 30 times in the past decade, from 1,000MW per year in 2005 to more than 30,000MW in 2013, Barclays notes. With that scale has come cheaper prices for panels.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
I'd take that risk, especially since as Don mentioned there are a lot of other reactor designs out there. Check out Pebble Bed reactors that are supposed to be fail-safe.

I think our inherent fear of all-things-nuclear keeps us from making important developments. The irony is that it is hardly the safest solution to keep 40 year old nuclear plants limping along instead of decommissioning them to allow better designs.
Let me point out, the idea of nuclear power was sold as always "fail-safe" and to think that a 40 year old plant is "limping along" when I reside less than a mile from a conventional power plant that's been in existence for over 100 years just astounds me. And disgusts me. Nuclear power was also sold here on Long Island as "power too cheap to meter!" If memory serves, home heating oil at the time was less than 40 cents a gallon.

Just like solar, nuclear power is highly subsidized. From the fuel, which couldn't exist without the federal government strictly monitoring it, to the disposal, which lays waste to hundreds of acres of real estate, to an accident, which could very well destroy an entire state, to insurance, which nuclear plants can't obtain privately therefore the taxpayers insure them.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Let me point out, the idea of nuclear power was sold as always "fail-safe" and to think that a 40 year old plant is "limping along" when I reside less than a mile from a conventional power plant that's been in existence for over 100 years just astounds me...
I don't work in nuclear so I can't speak intelligently on their plants. The "limping along" comment is just because I know technology improves and old stuff breaks, and after 40 years a lot of stuff isn't gonna be on par with a modern equipment; just because stuff works doesn't mean it's working as well as it could or should, and that goes for the 100 year old coal plant, too.

And regarding the "fail safe" comment, again, not a nuclear engineer. I don't know if pebble-bed or other reactor models are ever truly fail safe, but they can still be a darn sight safer than the models we have today.
...Just like solar, nuclear power is highly subsidized....
Every form of power is subsidized. Clean power and dirty power all exist in a world of government money.

And yes, there are waste issues, but there are also ideas for reactors that do much better than the obsolete models we're currently stuck with because of our refusal to reconsider nuclear as a viable option. Not only do we actually have better options for dealing with nuclear waste right now, but there are ideas like thorium reactors that are supposed to produce waste that is significantly less hazardous.

With as many people wanting as much electricity as they can use, I think any viable generation option deserves a fair assessment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.