Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to wire a cottage with solar panels and generator(watermill) and diesel generator when mains supply cuts out?:001_huh:

So the house/sheds will be run off of the mains supply with the solar panels water mill join into the mains cutting down electric bill

when the mains power is off i want the solar panels to run the lights (Selected lights), then the diesel generator to kick in for the sockets, but i want the watermill to kick in if the diesel generator doesn't have any fuel in if its not already on:blink:

Could i run the house/shed power from a computer so i could turn off the mains if i liked or turn the watermill on and off, or choose which light sockeks i want to work? some kind of automated relay system which i can reprogram?:001_huh:

Just need info where to start/ books or online ref would be helpful:thumbup:

no stupid comments please:mad:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You can do all of it quite easily - except of course getting the watermill to 'kick in'. You have no control over the water flow so you will have to use the mill as a primary source for a secondary supply. But all in all - easy

Frank

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could i put the mill on a clutch which is electrically controlled? so the mill will never stop spinning but not the generator?

Any ideas how i would get this idea to work?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As Phillip says you can keep the 'mill' running at all times - but if you have a dry spell you would not be able to rely upon it. Better to have the mill charge batteries for you 24/7 then switch the battery supply through an inverter to feed the mains to the house. It could operate through a no volt relay and would be automatic. The same system can be used to tandem the generator and the solar panels.

You can use a simple logic controller for your automated system utilising multiple outlet ports to trigger any number of circuits etc. ABB - Siemens - Honeywell etc all manufacture the equipment you need as indeed do dozens of other manufacturers. Most electrical wholesalers will have information available that you can browse through. Can't help you more specifically since it is an area which requires you to have some past experience or maybe an experienced electrician used to this field near to hand. I can give you some help via this site but what you really need is me by your side - and I am busy enough thanks

Frank

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers all

does anyone know any reading material i can study to learn more because in the current line of work in commercial im not even going to touch it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts