Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent half the afternoon trying to convince an engineer that he forgot the GEC for a water main in a tenant space and how I could convert the EGC of the main panel to a GEC and send it back to the meter bank. I just sent my coupe de tat email back to him, and its after 5pm, he hasn't responded. Letting a little thing like office hours get in the way of a heated discussion, just one more reason to gripe at them. Now i'm spoiling for a fight and no one to fight with. He closed his last email with this one "We like to use lots of acronyms and abbreviations to make sure architects stay confused about electrical work. It makes it seem a lot more complicated than it actually is." to us and the architect. So the question is do I throw a brick or a stick of rigid through his window, whats the preferred method of engineer disposal

·
Registered
31,213 Posts
How far to the water pipe?
Why pick a fight?
He missed it and if you did not include it in your bid you missed it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200 some feet across a parking garage. Problem is he specd two parallel runs of 250al in a 3inch conduit if I go with the 3/0 GEC like he wants it runs my pipe fill up to 39% and I just don't want that hard a fight. I'd rather run the 1/0 CU GEC and save myself the pipe fill or run parallel 3/0 CU and 1/0 CU but he disappeared on me

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the Gc doesn't know what I'm talking about, for some reason the architect is acting as the project manager and is also out of his league so Engineer here I come. GC and architect are both in the email thread but the customer hired the engineer and architect and appliance contractor and the gc brought us, the plumber and the framers. Its a cluster

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point I find it kind of fun because we don't always get to do the calculations and such in the field. It was frusterating to me though because I was getting geared up for a good argument and he clocked out at 5 while I'm still itching for a fight, so i've been cruising around code discussions and being argumentative in the mean time

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,989 Posts
Maybe things are different up here, but if there are engineering drawings... anything missing is an extra (spelled- Cha-Ching)

An estimator that I've worked with was a genius at picking out what was missing, then come in low bid and charge large for the extras.

I guess in your case, comes down to what you bid on, and the wording. From what others are saying, sounds like it's in your court ???

Reactions: splatz

·
Hackenschmidt
10,906 Posts
Maybe things are different up here, but if there are engineering drawings... anything missing is an extra (spelled- Cha-Ching)

An estimator that I've worked with was a genius at picking out what was missing, then come in low bid and charge large for the extras.

I guess in your case, comes down to what you bid on, and the wording. From what others are saying, sounds like it's in your court ???
I know people that follow dumb engineers around, bidding their jobs, like the seagulls follow fishing boats. Dumb engineers' mistakes leave a trail of change orders, which in their eyes is like leaving a trail of $100 bills.

Reactions: emtnut

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
At this point I find it kind of fun because we don't always get to do the calculations and such in the field. It was frusterating to me though because I was getting geared up for a good argument and he clocked out at 5 while I'm still itching for a fight, so i've been cruising around code discussions and being argumentative in the mean time
I used to be like that, then I took some anger management classes. :vs_mad:

Now I'm just a mellow old man...:yawn:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Spent half the afternoon trying to convince an engineer that he forgot the GEC for a water main in a tenant space and how I could convert the EGC of the main panel to a GEC and send it back to the meter bank.
Just for clarification, is this a new service to the tenant space or is it a feeder from an existing service?

I don't understand why there would be an EGC going to a Main Panel from a meter bank

Roger

·
Registered
804 Posts
Let us know how being "itching to fight" and argumentative works out for you.

I sure hope you used the specified fittings on that 200' run.....lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts