Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
the knockouts are their for convenience, you can buy 4 squares with different configurations, or no knockouts at all There is no violation.

Cabinets that are UL listed may have specific entry locations and size restrictions, explosion proof enclosures have specific entry and hub sizes, and often prohibit field modifications, and other enclosures may have restrictions in their listing or directions, so it's always good to check.

Reactions: glen1971

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,397 Posts
Given the current state of required blind compliance with written regulations prevalent in the USSA, I'd say that any form of alteration to a finished product that's UL listed would violate the listing.

Even if one is expected to modify the product, the listing would still be void.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Given the current state of required blind compliance with written regulations prevalent in the USSA, I'd say that any form of alteration to a finished product that's UL listed would violate the listing.

Even if one is expected to modify the product, the listing would still be void.

Since there's nothing in the instructions for THHN about cutting it, doing so would violate it's listing then?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
micromind said:
I've actually had to replace boxes/cans/etc. on government jobs because they were not listed for conduit entry anywhere but the factory KOs.
So, order j boxes with no ko's. Then you can knock it out where ever you want. Or, some stupid bureaucrat will tell you "you can't punch holes in that box, it will violate its listing". How are you supposed to use it then?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
So, order j boxes with no ko's. Then you can knock it out where ever you want. Or, some stupid bureaucrat will tell you "you can't punch holes in that box, it will violate its listing". How are you supposed to use it then?
I forget where I was working but some putz actally told me that. When I did a double take and asked him WTF are you talking about?? He said it would violate the approval rating.. I said, well so would leaving the door open to put the wires in that way... Never seen it or heard of it since..

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,397 Posts
Remember, these are well-trained government minions here; they don't care if something is possible or not, they care only about ramming rules on us underlings in order to justify their jobs.

I usually order cans with no KOs, it's just about as easy to make my own than to line up pipe to the factory ones.

Just another of the many violations I commit every day........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.