Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently see ENT conduit runs where the ENT is not terminated in a box or fitting, frequently stopping a few inches from a low voltage box where the low voltage cables emerge (like the picture below I found on the internet).

Is there an NEC code article that permits this? It seems like using a conduit to sleeve romex but I thought that was prohibited except for short runs requried for physical protection.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Jim

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I often point out the definition of 'raceway' in art 100 as validation of a sleeve

My rationale is , if it does not meet the definitional requirements, it is not a raceway

Others here may be of a different and/or enlightened opinion systems

~CS~

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks more like cat 5 or some kind of low voltage wiring.
Thanks
Mike
I agree that it is low voltage cabling. I am asking if there is an exception in the code that allows this wiring method for low voltage cabling, I have not found it but suspect that it must exist given how common this is.

Cheers!

Jim

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
You can do that with Romex and LV wire. The ent is just a sleave, not a raceway. We have to do that for WH and disposals here, but use carflex instead.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I frequently see ENT conduit runs where the ENT is not terminated in a box or fitting, frequently stopping a few inches from a low voltage box where the low voltage cables emerge (like the picture below I found on the internet).

Is there an NEC code article that permits this? It seems like using a conduit to sleeve romex but I thought that was prohibited except for short runs requried for physical protection.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Jim
Whoever did that install should be shot

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Assuming that's cabling that would otherwise be permitted to be run outside of the raceway, that's what's called "sleeving for protection". (in this case, to be honest, it's sleeving for pulling after finish convenience.) The NEC actually talks about this in a table note in Table 9, note 2, I believe. Bottom line, it's not a raceway if it's not continuous from point to point, and therefore raceway rules don't apply. The NEC is a permissive document. If it doesn't say you can't, then you can.

Reactions: shocksystems
1 - 9 of 9 Posts