Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working with a photovoltaic system installation, and the open air wiring that needs to travel from modules to be collected at the inverters (mounted at the end of the rack). All the current-carrying wire is XLPE PV wire, and it is being used in a PVC conduit that is given a gap every stick, for wire entry.

The wire is rated for open air use, if installed by other means.

The entire racking system has integrated listed grounding all along its length and width, and will be given a #6 wire connection to each inverter mounting.

Do I need an additional ground wire inside the hundreds of feet of PVC conduit? (Just "because it is in a conduit", perhaps)

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Have you asked the AHJ?

Does the cut sheet from the array manufacturer specify an additional ECG?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you asked the AHJ?

Does the cut sheet from the array manufacturer specify an additional ECG?

I don't have the authority to ask the AHJ. And if I do ask them, they will know to require it, if in fact the code does require it.

No cutsheet from the manufacturer requires an additional EGC. Both the module manufacturer, and the racking manufacturer, accept one anothers' systems as the equivalent EGC, with only the local connection to the inverter needed.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I wasn't aware you had to have a special authority to contact your local inspector.

As long as you cover 690.43 you'll be good. 2008

But checking with your local ordinances is best.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I wasn't aware you had to have a special authority to contact your local inspector..
If you like your job, and know your place in this world, you'd best not be contacting the inspector unless you're the foreman.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
MDShunk said:
If you like your job, and know your place in this world, you'd best not be contacting the inspector unless you're the foreman.
I've never known that place I guess.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I'll step back from this one. I don't know exactly what you're asking for. If someone is telling you to do it then do it. If not then don't. Your authority is your supervisor.

Unless you're just wondering. Then no just cause you use conduit does not automatically qualify you for a EGC.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Carultch said:
I'm working with a photovoltaic system installation, and the open air wiring that needs to travel from modules to be collected at the inverters (mounted at the end of the rack). All the current-carrying wire is XLPE PV wire, and it is being used in a PVC conduit that is given a gap every stick, for wire entry. The wire is rated for open air use, if installed by other means. The entire racking system has integrated listed grounding all along its length and width, and will be given a #6 wire connection to each inverter mounting. Do I need an additional ground wire inside the hundreds of feet of PVC conduit? (Just "because it is in a conduit", perhaps)
From what you describe, it sounds compliant to me. Where is the #6 ground running from the racks, if not in the conduit?

The bigger thing you'll need to worry about is expansion fittings and gap spacing, especially if that's on a roof. The conduit should also be run on sleepers at least 3.5" off the deck, unless you are sweating the wire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what you describe, it sounds compliant to me. Where is the #6 ground running from the racks, if not in the conduit?

The bigger thing you'll need to worry about is expansion fittings and gap spacing, especially if that's on a roof. The conduit should also be run on sleepers at least 3.5" off the deck, unless you are sweating the wire.

Hi Pharon,

The rack *is* the EGC, for 99% of the length. The #6 Cu ground wire will only run the final 1% of the length, from the end of the rack to each inverter.

This is for a ground mount system, so it will be about 5 ft above the ground.

We aren't exceeding the length of a stick anyway, as every stick length there will be a gap for wire pulling and wire entry.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts

We aren't exceeding the length of a stick anyway, as every stick length there will be a gap for wire pulling and wire entry.
Doesn't sound like you are installing a raceway system then. What you describe sounds more like what the code calls "sleeving for protection".

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn't sound like you are installing a raceway system then. What you describe sounds more like what the code calls "sleeving for protection".

Good terminology. Thank you for helping out. Now I know what to say, if the inspector challenges us on it.

I just know that ordinarily the rule is that 1 egc is required per conduit, and that since this is material that is listed as conduit, I thought it might still require it.

I certainly don't want to run 400 ft of ground wire if I don't have to.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Hi Pharon,

The rack *is* the EGC, for 99% of the length. The #6 Cu ground wire will only run the final 1% of the length, from the end of the rack to each inverter.

Be sure to protect the wire from sharp edges in the PVC gaps with some form of fitting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts