Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a business whose 1000amp service has been submerged in water and has to be replaced. This is an emergency job and everyday the business is closed they're losing thousands of dollars. What is the industry standard for marking up the switch gear, breakers hired labor etc. Should we charge retail for the equipment? What will the insurance pay for

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
We have a business whose 1000amp service has been submerged in water and has to be replaced. This is an emergency job and everyday the business is closed they're losing thousands of dollars. What is the industry standard for marking up the switch gear, breakers hired labor etc. Should we charge retail for the equipment? What will the insurance pay for
I markup 50%, MD Shunk has a post based on price, someone will post.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/mark-up-1966/index3/#post33849

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Emergency = get supplies anywhere they are available + man up as necessary+ work on it 24/7 till done.

Keep track of hours and time when worked. Sunday night? Monday morning? If it's durring normal hours charge normal prices. If it's OT or weekend work it's gonna be a lot higher. If they have an emergency and you have to push off other customers to put out that fire it's worth adding a % or two. I'm not saying stick it to them but to be worried about price in an emergency is silly.

If a concrete plant we work on is down we have to pull off whatever we are doing. RUSH over there and fix whatever is wrong. From a tripped breaker to a motor replacement. That trip is a 3 hr minimum. I'm not sticking it to them but they have to pay for me to pick up my stuff,drive over there, fix, and get back to my original job. It's worth it to them because every inure they're down cost them lots of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm the electrician on the job and also work for the business on the side thats how we got the job. Everything has been ordered and will take another wk to arrive. The insurance company wants estimates. We have had to bring power to the owners other store fronts and bring temporary heat during the cold period so more of their pipes wont freeze. Has anyone else marked up extra hired help. We have worked 7 days a wk preparing for the changover and at 4:00am so not to disrupt his other businesses.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm the electrician on the job and also work for the business on the side thats how we got the job. Everything has been ordered and will take another wk to arrive. The insurance company wants estimates. We have had to bring power to the owners other store fronts and bring temporary heat during the cold period so more of their pipes wont freeze. Has anyone else marked up extra hired help. We have worked 7 days a wk preparing for the changover and at 4:00am so not to disrupt his other businesses.
A week? Did you mention it was an emergency?

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Good it's not just me. Emergency is T&M. Insurance companies don't want estimates, they want bills, the fact that they want the bill before you even start work notwithstanding, they have to pay whatever the bill is in the end. They do not have the option of "totaling" the business. Markup should be standard, the material cost could be abnormally high only because you don't have time to shop around.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Good it's not just me. Emergency is T&M. Insurance companies don't want estimates, they want bills, the fact that they want the bill before you even start work notwithstanding, they have to pay whatever the bill is in the end. They do not have the option of "totaling" the business. Markup should be standard, the material cost could be abnormally high only because you don't have time to shop around.
I had a new GC try to supply material for a job I gave him a price for, all in the name of trying to lower the price by eliminating my 20% markup. I foresee this GC becoming a problem.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Then you have done this wrong IF THEY WANT TO PAY

We can get business up with a service this size in 2-3 days max from parts in stock and locally available or you can get quick ship in 3-4 days if they want to pay the freight.

Be careful as this may turn into an insurance claim.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Be a bitch if you weren't insured or licensed for side work.. I see a train wreck coming.......

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I had a new GC try to supply material for a job I gave him a price for, all in the name of trying to lower the price by eliminating my 20% markup. I foresee this GC becoming a problem.

Red Flag,get your money up front or do not work for him.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Red Flag,get your money up front or do not work for him.
The underwriter cert never gets handed over until the last penny is paid. I think this particular gc is too accustomed to using trunk slammers to do his work.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
The underwriter cert never gets handed over until the last penny is paid. I think this particular gc is too accustomed to using trunk slammers to do his work.
To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.