Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new client installed an above ground pool last year with nothing done right. (done by others) Asked me to bring it up to code so he can get it inspected.

He surrounded the pool 3' out with fist-size river rock at least 8" deep if not more.

Do i need to get the perimeter bond wire 4-6" in the river rock or do i need to get it in the dirt/sand below the rock? Either is going to be pain.

Told him to move the rock and I'll install the wire but...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis,

You are right. The code is not clear on this point. If i put it in the sand, it might be a foot under the rocks.

According to NEC 2011 handbook(PA is still on 2008) "This 8 awg bonding conductor can be installed in the paving material(ie in the concrete), or it can be buried in the material (subgrade) below the paving material. Where buried, the bonding conductor is to be not less than 4" and not more than 6" below the surface level of the subgrade material.

Though I just looked up subgrade and it states :

In transport engineering, subgrade is the native material underneath a constructed road,[1] pavement or railway track (US: railroad track). It is also called formation level.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,773 Posts
4" and not more than 6" below the surface level of the subgrade material.
Yes, but I don't think the code intended to pile rocks on top of it.

Get the customer to move the rocks out of your way wherever you need, then use a claw hammer to scratch about 4-5 inches into the sand. Then do your thing, hit all points as necessary.

I think that would give the bonding wire better connection to the earth for the perimeter bonding than laying under the rocks.

Or the inspector might say the rocks have to go.

Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.