Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My efforts to impart the concept of equipotential &/or equipotentiality to local farmers has been a tad confrontational.

At one point I expressed that this is probably something one can solicit from other farms who's cattle have endured similar troubles

So i'm looking for an Ag based web site that might explain it, along with my pix (below) of a manufactures water w/heater (said :censored: manufacturer wants me to lift the ground, which i refuse to do)

Any farm boys out there fluent in chickenese ? :laughing:~CS~;)

·
Super Moderator
21,937 Posts
Have you watched mike holt vid on stray voltage-http://www.mikeholt.com/strayVoltageVideo.php

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
I don't do a whole lot of ag stuff, but a year or so ago, someone approached me about doing a new horse barn and in doing some research, was suprised at how much goes into doing one correctly. I mentioned this to him and never heard anymore. It ended up when done being larger than my house. Was curious as to whether any of the bonding and grounding called for was done or not.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
A lot of the farms in my area have isolators installed by the POCO. Some have even went so far as to install their own isolation transformers. Most of the "stray voltage gurus" hate the equipotential planes. It used to be optional but now the code mandates it. To install it up to code takes a lot of coordination between the concrete contractor and the electrician. Good Luck! When my neighbor built a heifer facility, I asked him about a equipotential plane. His response? **** no!! The requirement for them depends on the steel work installed in the concrete and the potential for it to become energized. IMHO stray voltage on farms is an issue to stay far away from. Ever see a farmer with his cheap volt meter go around taking voltage reading from various points??;)

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
My efforts to impart the concept of equipotential &/or equipotentiality to local farmers has been a tad confrontational.

At one point I expressed that this is probably something one can solicit from other farms who's cattle have endured similar troubles

So i'm looking for an Ag based web site that might explain it, along with my pix (below) of a manufactures water w/heater (said :censored: manufacturer wants me to lift the ground, which i refuse to do)

Any farm boys out there fluent in chickenese ? :laughing:~CS~;)
Why don't you just use the "bird on the power line" analogy?
Why do they want you to lift the ground? Some of the manufacturers require installing a ground rod under the watering unit.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why don't you just use the "bird on the power line" analogy?
I did, and they suggested rubber stall mats around the waterers Wendon:(

Why do they want you to lift the ground?
The manufacturers 'tech support' suggested it after it was revealed the cows were getting bit off the water being induced by the serving heater circuit

I doubt they'd put it in writing.....:whistling2:

Some of the manufacturers require installing a ground rod under the watering unit.
But does that trump 547's requirements if done? :blink:

~CS~

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
True, the whole world is one big neutral to our Poco configuration.

Equipotentials aside, they can be targeted as a potential culprit (pun intended) :), and have engineers that will make site vists/suggestions

That said, the idea of 'farm isolators' is now on the table , perhaps you could take a peek Meadow?

http://fyi.uwex.edu/mrec/files/2011/03/tachick-Dairyland-Isolators.pdf

~CS~
That is one option.

It could be a simple fix such as an open MGN down the line if the issue sprung up over night. However if the issue is chronic the farm needs to be isolated from the MGN some way or another.

In all honesty I would set down a jumbo pig at the main tap a mile up which is just a step down transformer. Usually 167kva is enough for a lateral tap but if the farm is the only load 50kva will be fine. I would then put the neutral up on a bowl insulators without any grounds and lightning suppressors the entire run up to the farm eliminating any neutral from the main line and use a double ear pig (2 bushing transformer) at the farm.

This requires work from the poco yet it is the most effective. Dispensing the MGN all the way to the farm should eliminate nearly all if not all stray voltage since no parallel path will be provided for the main line MGN.

In Minnesota there was a massive stray voltage issue with farmers suing. Youd think a small 12.47kv rural line would not be felt be a flee but it was. Basically the POCO was left with no solution other than to set an isolation bank (separately derived source) and re-wire the whole line into 3 wire delta. Keeping all current on insulated conductors and dispensing the MGN fixed the issue. Although in Id imagine your case is no where near as complex but it shows the effectiveness of isolation.

Here are a few news articles:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/217255781.html

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_26795352/farm-family-awarded-record-6-3m-stray-voltage

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx Meadow. :thumbsup:

This is nowhere near the deal in WI. It's a small (90 head) farm on 20-30 acres. The only oddity of possible contribution is , it's the end of the poco line.

For some reason end of line installs tend to have funky power quality , although one would think it isolated better ....:001_huh:~CS~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts