Electrician Talk banner

Call ....

• Other water manufacturers

Votes: 0 0.0%

Equipotential translation

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  chicken steve 
#1 ·
My efforts to impart the concept of equipotential &/or equipotentiality to local farmers has been a tad confrontational.

At one point I expressed that this is probably something one can solicit from other farms who's cattle have endured similar troubles

So i'm looking for an Ag based web site that might explain it, along with my pix (below) of a manufactures water w/heater (said :censored: manufacturer wants me to lift the ground, which i refuse to do)

Any farm boys out there fluent in chickenese ? :laughing:~CS~;)

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't do a whole lot of ag stuff, but a year or so ago, someone approached me about doing a new horse barn and in doing some research, was suprised at how much goes into doing one correctly. I mentioned this to him and never heard anymore. It ended up when done being larger than my house. Was curious as to whether any of the bonding and grounding called for was done or not.

#8 ·
True, the whole world is one big neutral to our Poco configuration.

Equipotentials aside, they can be targeted as a potential culprit (pun intended) :), and have engineers that will make site vists/suggestions

That said, the idea of 'farm isolators' is now on the table , perhaps you could take a peek Meadow?

http://fyi.uwex.edu/mrec/files/2011/03/tachick-Dairyland-Isolators.pdf

~CS~

#9 ·
A lot of the farms in my area have isolators installed by the POCO. Some have even went so far as to install their own isolation transformers. Most of the "stray voltage gurus" hate the equipotential planes. It used to be optional but now the code mandates it. To install it up to code takes a lot of coordination between the concrete contractor and the electrician. Good Luck! When my neighbor built a heifer facility, I asked him about a equipotential plane. His response? **** no!! The requirement for them depends on the steel work installed in the concrete and the potential for it to become energized. IMHO stray voltage on farms is an issue to stay far away from. Ever see a farmer with his cheap volt meter go around taking voltage reading from various points??;)

#11 · (Edited)
My efforts to impart the concept of equipotential &/or equipotentiality to local farmers has been a tad confrontational.

At one point I expressed that this is probably something one can solicit from other farms who's cattle have endured similar troubles

So i'm looking for an Ag based web site that might explain it, along with my pix (below) of a manufactures water w/heater (said :censored: manufacturer wants me to lift the ground, which i refuse to do)

Any farm boys out there fluent in chickenese ? :laughing:~CS~;)
Why don't you just use the "bird on the power line" analogy?
Why do they want you to lift the ground? Some of the manufacturers require installing a ground rod under the watering unit.

#12 ·
Why don't you just use the "bird on the power line" analogy?
I did, and they suggested rubber stall mats around the waterers Wendon:(

Why do they want you to lift the ground?
The manufacturers 'tech support' suggested it after it was revealed the cows were getting bit off the water being induced by the serving heater circuit

I doubt they'd put it in writing.....:whistling2:

Some of the manufacturers require installing a ground rod under the watering unit.
But does that trump 547's requirements if done? :blink:

~CS~

#15 ·
Thx Meadow. :thumbsup:

This is nowhere near the deal in WI. It's a small (90 head) farm on 20-30 acres. The only oddity of possible contribution is , it's the end of the poco line.

For some reason end of line installs tend to have funky power quality , although one would think it isolated better ....:001_huh:~CS~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.