Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it capable or ideal for bidding/estimating projects in the $50,000+ range? Ive been in need of a good estimating software...thoughts?

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Before Harry comes on and says yes, let me say not really in my own opinion.
It is designed as far as I know to be used more or less in service work on smaller projects. If you use it and win a job of that size however, horray for you, you are going to make a nice profit on it. I highly recommend its use to any one in the service sector. But lets be fair, you probably would not ever win a tight commercial bidding situation with it for a larger project. There are other software programs out there that target that size range. Just a users opinion.

Reactions: GEORGE D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is designed as far as I know to be used more or less in service work on smaller projects. If you use it and win a job of that size however, horray for you, you are going to make a nice profit on it. I highly recommend its use to any one in the service sector. But lets be fair, you probably would not ever win a tight commercial bidding situation with it for a larger project. There are other software programs out there that target that size range. Just a users opinion.
Thanks for the honesty! Do you know of a good software for bidding those type jobs?

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
X2, and I use the program. You would have a hell of a time bidding (and winning) a large new construction project billing it a $175+ an hour.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Thanks for the honesty! Do you know of a good software for bidding those type jobs?
I read other posters stuff about McCormack and so forth. When I did bid jobs that were in the range between $100,000 to 12 million in size (I won that one, but it got canceled) I used to use a program named Estmat. It has been gone now for as long as I have not been in the big boy crowd. I do small stuffs now.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
50 grand you should be able to pencil and paper it. I would. Just do a little trial and error.
Bid it by the opening
bid it by time, material and subs
bid it by your gut
add them up and divide by three.
Then if you want the job take another 30% off.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
George, try TurboBid.
That is exactly what I've been looking at, it seems to be pretty intuitive and I watched the full hour and 15 minute long video with Mike Holt about it. Would you pay the extra and get the auto price updates? As of right now I'm only bidding about 4 jobs a year; most of our work is service. I'm sure most would agree to not even purchase considering how seldom I bid projects, but I think with it on hand I could pursue more contract work.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I just cannot understand how someone needs an estimating program for a job under $100K or even higher unless you are doing this everyday.
I estimate jobs all the time with a legal pad and a couple colored pens.
Am I exact,? Probably not. Do I lose money? Only when I don't do a good job of keeping the job stocked and let my guys know a few expectations.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just cannot understand how someone needs an estimating program for a job under $100K or even higher unless you are doing this everyday.
Am I exact,? Probably not. Do I lose money? Only when I don't do a good job of keeping the job stocked and let my guys know a few expectations.
You have an excellent point, I'm just the kind of guy who likes having the right tool for the right job; not implying you don't. It just seems easier keeping track of things and creating necessary documents. Again, I haven't purchased yet, matter of fact I just received a demo version of one but haven't had time to play with it. We'll see what happens, and I'll surely give feedback.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
probably the same reason people use cell phones instead of pagers ,ipads instead of paper invoices and email instead of a fax. It makes the job easier.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
GEORGE D said:
Is it capable or ideal for bidding/estimating projects in the $50,000+ range? Ive been in need of a good estimating software...thoughts?
I use vision infosoft bid manager. I like it just fine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I love Conest for large jobs. Easy to copy/cut/paste repetitive offices, rooms, condos, etc.
I think Turbobid and McCormick have similar features.

If you don't want to spend that much on one of the big three, Vision is affordable.
I have bid many jobs from $50K to over $1M on Vision. But the bigger the job, the more difficult it is to manipulate the audit trail on Vision, which is huge once you are awarded a job.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have a 1/2" impact wrench in the garage. I only use it a few times per year to rotate tires or change brake pads. It beats the snot out of using a tire iron to remove and install lug nuts. So, I would say it is worth having it. Now, imagine (insert national tire chain store here) using tire irons instead of impact guns to change tires. It doesn't make sense.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

I was on vacation....:whistling2::laughing:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do lots of research before you buy a program. There is lots of high priced rubbish out there. Check out Electrician's Tool Box for some good links and for inexpesive programs check out Craftsman book Company. They also have great free calculators. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts