Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On bidding jobs to GC's how do you charge for labor this is how I do it but I don't know if the formula is right because I keep finding myself loosing jobs. First I find out the duration of the job and if the GC's says it's 40 days and I need say 4 guys I add up how much am gonna pay my guys per hr so 20+20+16+16=70 • 45%=101per hr.• if it's 40 days and 8 hrs in a day I multiply 8 time 40 that's 320hrs times 101 = $32320 plus whatever my labor and permit chargers are is that how you contractors do it someone let me know because I don't know if that's to high to low or what

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
First you need to estimate the electrical portion not how many days the GC has in the job. Second I think you are way low on your OH and burden and profit. Also need to add material markup.

I actually price the job for bare cost then add OH and profit margin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WhT you mean by electrical portion and burden cost and if am to low y is it that I don't get the job can you give me a break down

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dawgs said:
First you need to estimate the electrical portion not how many days the GC has in the job. Second I think you are way low on your OH and burden and profit. Also need to add material markup. I actually price the job for bare cost then add OH and profit margin.
what you mean by electrical portion and burden cost and if it's to low then I should be winning bids right can you give me a example breakdown please

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
20+20+16+16 =72 this what you are giving them on the check now where do you come up with your 45% ? Give us a breakdown . If you are marking something up 45% you should divide by .55 for a true markup.

Unless the GC wants four guys every day needed or not you probably wont have four guys every day of the job ,some days you wont have any.

knowing how you came up with 45% will give everyone a better understanding of where you are at.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rewire said:
20+20+16+16 =72 this what you are giving them on the check now where do you come up with your 45% ? Give us a breakdown . If you are marking something up 45% you should divide by .55 for a true markup. Unless the GC wants four guys every day needed or not you probably wont have four guys every day of the job ,some days you wont have any. knowing how you came up with 45% will give everyone a better understanding of where you are at.
ok I came up with the 45% for insurance and a small profit

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I don't I didn't even factor that in am not a llc I just hire guys I know who are laid off whenever I have work so I figured 40 dayz if I could 4 to 5 grand in my pocket without having to do any work myself I thought that be fine but I don't know

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
No I don't I didn't even factor that in am not a llc I just hire guys I know who are laid off whenever I have work so I figured 40 dayz if I could 4 to 5 grand in my pocket without having to do any work myself I thought that be fine but I don't know
What does not being an LLC have to do with it?

Or do you mean you really aren't in business, don't have any insurance, don't pay taxes and pay your "guys" off the books?

...just curious. :)

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
Is that bad? :whistling2:
No, not as long as the person who is getting paid off the books doesn't mind not getting credit within the social security system. I guess you could argue someone out of work really isn't concerned with that at the moment.

And, there's nothing wrong if the person being paid off the books doesn't mind taking the risk of getting hurt and not being able to collect workers compensation because there is no record of it.

...and then there is always the IRS catching up with those paying and receiving tax free money, but if they are OK taking these risks then I guess it isn't bad. :)

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
No, not as long as the person who is getting paid off the books doesn't mind not getting credit within the social security system. I guess you could argue someone out of work really isn't concerned with that at the moment.

And, there's nothing wrong if the person being paid off the books doesn't mind taking the risk of getting hurt and not being able to collect workers compensation because there is no record of it.
I'd say most workers are aware of this and agree to it.

...and then there is always the IRS catching up with those paying and receiving tax free money, but if they are OK taking these risks then I guess it isn't bad. :)
Well, the person paying in cash IS paying the tax on that money since he can't claim it as payroll :( Unless he uses cash that he got paid on other jobs :whistling2: Not that I would EVER do that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The_Modifier said:
Anyone else want this thread closed due to the fact he's not a Licensed CONTRACTOR?:)
please ! I would hire you to just to go get our guys breakfast! Then fire you if you forget the ketchup on the fries

1 - 20 of 48 Posts