Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A former co-worker (and friend) is looking to sell her house and the whole house inspector said that the FPE sub-panel in her garage needed replaced.

Since I don't price jobs and am not a contractor I was wondering what would be a fair price to offer the prospective buyer for replacement?

Pete

Attachments

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
It's in a finished wall Pete, AND the feeder comes in one end, the branches out the other.....pita. Best (JMHO) is to rip it all out and introduce a larger surf mnt panel covering the hole there. My est (podunkville going rate) $400, more if i gotta pull a permit and 'splain it to an AHJ.....;) ~CS~

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a friend, I'll usually do the job and say I'll send you a bill... Which I won't.
I thought about doing it for her but If I were the buyer I would want permits and inspections and being that I inspect work I don't want to be in competition with a legitimate contractor.

I know it could also turn out that the buyer just takes the money and does nothing.

Pete

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Some places, the presence of a Fire Producing Equipment panel excludes one from obtaining insurance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is this panel controlling??? The feeders don't seem to look any larger then #12. Is that GFI breaker protecting two circuits?? Don't know how far it is to the main panel but if you have to pull new feeders it could turn out to be a bit of a job so it's hard to help with a price. JMHO

·
Registered
97 Posts
What's on the other end of the feeder? Can new breakers be placed in service panel, and bypass the breaker in pic? Couple wire nuts and breakers be a lot cheaper than new sub panel.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why does it even need replacement ?
It looks in good condition !
Is it too small ?
Is it no longer up to code ?
what gives ?
A whole house inspector flagged it for replacement.

Pete

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is this panel controlling??? The feeders don't seem to look any larger then #12. Is that GFI breaker protecting two circuits?? Don't know how far it is to the main panel but if you have to pull new feeders it could turn out to be a bit of a job so it's hard to help with a price. JMHO
I really have no answers to your questions. I assumed re-using the existing feeder (if it is code compliant) and leaving the branch breakers serving whatever they serve now.

I'm only looking for a ballpark number that my friend could offer the potential buyer. I'm not looking for a hard quote.

Pete

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's on the other end of the feeder? Can new breakers be placed in service panel, and bypass the breaker in pic? Couple wire nuts and breakers be a lot cheaper than new sub panel.
Wish I knew. But, as stated, just trying to get a ballpark number for negotiating purposes.

I know there are a thousand questions that need answered to give an accurate price. Sorry.

Pete

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
it is hard for me to tell in the picture, but if that is 2 - 20 amp single pole breakers and it was a friends house I would do away with the panel and make it a J Box. If they wanted a new panel installed without Permit and Inspection I would charge between $500 - $600
Permit and Inspections would add another $200 - $250 as long as it was in the suburbs

Reactions: Pete m.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
If that job was in the city limits, I'd do it all day long for $500. Permit, inspection and all.

If it was in the county or one of the surrounding towns, it'd be closer to $575. I would also do a fast rough patch if needed to the sheetrock for an additional $35.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If that job was in the city limits, I'd do it all day long for $500. Permit, inspection and all.

If it was in the county or one of the surrounding towns, it'd be closer to $575. I would also do a fast rough patch if needed to the sheetrock for an additional $35.
I am the complete opposite, if I had to get a permit in Phila I charge an additional $850 just for the P&I

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I am the complete opposite, if I had to get a permit in Phila I charge an additional $850 just for the P&I
Permits in the city are less expensive than the county and all the surrounding towns, because all the contractors/business owners have to pay an additional $75-$100 a year, just to be able to pull permits and work in the city limits. Believe me, they get their money.

I know it's different in other areas, but this is the way in works here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts