Electrician Talk banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
For a friend, I'll usually do the job and say I'll send you a bill... Which I won't.
yeah if they buy the required hardware and his mrs makes me a batch of peanut butter no bake cookies:thumbsup: thats the only bill they will get from me:laughing:

·
BlackWhale49
30 Posts
Morales95 said:
No wonder our prices are going down, panel replacement are around $1500-$1800. If you sell as is expect 15% to 20% lower of the total sell
It's a 2 circuit panel and you're not changing any of the conductors. Even if you have to put in AFCI breakers the materials will be less than a $100.00. Figuring another $100.00 for tax and a permit, at $100/hr that gives you 13 hours to install the new panel. What are you seeing?

·
Banned
95 Posts
It's a 2 circuit panel and you're not changing any of the conductors. Even if you have to put in AFCI breakers the materials will be less than a $100.00. Figuring another $100.00 for tax and a permit, at $100/hr that gives you 13 hours to install the new panel. What are you seeing?
Agreed. I've found that the SquareD Homeline 6-12 panels from Home Depot are a close match in size to those FPE panels. They cost about $16 plus $7 for a ground bar and $8 for two breakers. $35 material plus 2 hours labor, inflate that to 4 hours. You are still no where near $1,800. That's insane.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
A former co-worker (and friend) is looking to sell her house and the whole house inspector said that the FPE sub-panel in her garage needed replaced.

Since I don't price jobs and am not a contractor I was wondering what would be a fair price to offer the prospective buyer for replacement?

Pete
That image shows about $50.00 worth of material. If she is a good friend I would charge $49.00.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Price to remove breaker feeding panel rendering it unusesable. $50.00 There is your starting point for negotiations. The purchasing party now has to get an electrician to come up with confirming codes that says the panel needs to be replaced, rewired etc and for $1800.00

After a big fight, the only person who won was the whole house inspector who stirred the pot and got paid for an opinion without having to back it with a code. .:icon_evil::icon_evil:

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Price to remove breaker feeding panel rendering it unusesable. $50.00 There is your starting point for negotiations. The purchasing party now has to get an electrician to come up with confirming codes that says the panel needs to be replaced, rewired etc and for $1800.00

After a big fight, the only person who won was the whole house inspector who stirred the pot and got paid for an opinion without having to back it with a code. .:icon_evil::icon_evil:
I love it when people use big words/phrases to make a job seem harder to do. There is no rewire. It can be called a redistribution of the circuits in the new panel.....but there is only two. If she is a good friend and I am licensed...it's 49 bucks.:thumbsup:

41 - 48 of 48 Posts