Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What program do you use to keep your sales in check? I've been using excel for a while but there are feature i need that they don't have. I'm looking for something that has quick books incorporated into it... any ideas? Thnx

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
How about Quickbooks then?

I really have no idea what you mean by "keep your sales in check".

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Excel can be utilized to create any small biz speadsheet, the only advantage of QB's is they are easily cross calculated and audited.

~CS~

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Excel can be utilized to create any small biz speadsheet, the only advantage of QB's is they are easily cross calculated and audited.

~CS~
It is my understanding that QB is a database (like Access) where Excel is a spreadsheet. It was explained to me (back in the 90s) that when you use Excel, all data goes into the computer memory and you can have system slow down or stoppage from too much memory being used (today, that may not be as much of a problem but I think the principle still remains).

QB being a database, it only retrieves the information it needs for what it's trying to do instead of having all information opened.

So, eventually, you have to drop data from your spreadsheet in order to use it, but a database can build and build (until you run out of hard drive space).

Excel is a blank canvass that you need to paint your picture. You have to put in all the formulas and data manipulation processes where QB has it already developed.

My opinion is you should not use Excel for a database management tool, and business information is more of data management than not. I've heard of people doing estimates in QB, but I never looked into it and am of the opinion (right or wrong) that an estimate is better done in Excel than QB.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Basically yes Lou

QB incorporates those functions as a program that Excel does not have (unless you can write htlm)

for a larger biz, QB will pay for itself, a smaller biz really does not need it imho

~CS~

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
for a larger biz, QB will pay for itself, a smaller biz really does not need it imho
I am about as small as it gets, and I find it invaluable. I admit I only use about half of it's power, but I only upgrade every three years so IMO it's worth every penny.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I am about as small as it gets, and I find it invaluable. I admit I only use about half of it's power, but I only upgrade every three years so IMO it's worth every penny.
There are multiple versions of QB, as well as incremental updates that follow suit , all having their pros & cons Petey

In fact, i used QB's for almost a decade myself.

Imho, it really boils down to how much accounting you'd like to do, as opposed to how much you'd like your accountant to do

In this respect i have found the only advantage of QB's over Excell is it's inherent ability to correlate figures.

Excell, as i have found, is a malleable, mailable apt program capable of meeting a sm biz needs, the 'learning curve' being on par with QB's

As we are able to do it all with Excel, including government interface for monthly taxation, apprentice hours & end yr audit (which is the only time we see an accountant, and even QB's can't do your taxes for you) we see no reason to farm out and /or buy ascii adjuncts

~CS~

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Since you answered, how does "Invoicetogo" "keep sales in check"?
It has all kind of wonderful, simple features. Custom Invoices, Estimates, PO's, Sales Tracking, Reports (Sales by quarter, year, month, customer, aging, profit and loss, etc..), paid, credit memo's, blah blah. Can sync to all your iphones, cloud, pad, etc... Quite nice for only $100ish per year to platinum plan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts