Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I am really not clear on. - Article 410.10(D) NEC 2014 gives the requirements for luminaires within a certain area. Would this area also apply to an exhaust fan? The fan is not a luminaire. Is there any other code reference regarding this type of thing? I am having trouble finding one at this moment. - What about a heat lamp? I have a customer who has an existing heat lamp only unit (250 watt heat lamp with no fan included) that is located within the area specified in 410.10(D). I need to replace the unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a question that I am really not clear on. - Article 410.10(D) NEC 2014 gives the requirements for luminaires within a certain area. Would this area also apply to an exhaust fan? The fan is not a luminaire. Is there any other code reference regarding this type of thing? I am having trouble finding one at this moment. - What about a heat lamp? I have a customer who has an existing heat lamp only unit (250 watt heat lamp with no fan included) that is located within the area specified in 410.10(D). I need to replace the unit.
What is your exact question??

(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I want to replace an existing heat lamp just outside the shower/tub stall (within the area listed in 410.10) is this going to be an issue? - What if I wanted to put in a 240V space heater or ceiling mounted heater within this area? Is this acceptable? - 410.10 seems to apply only to luminaires. - Is there any other code reference prohibiting what I mentioned above? What about an exhaust fan? Does an exhaust fan have to be rated for a damp location if it is located in this area. I would love to be more clear on these things.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
As long as the unit is outside the footprint of the tub then no gfci is required. You are allowed to actually install the fan in the tub area but then it must be gfci protected.

Reactions: Paul S.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
The manufacturer instructions of the fan will usually state that gfci must be used when installed over a shower.

Reactions: Paul S.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as the unit is outside the footprint of the tub then no gfci is required. You are allowed to actually install the fan in the tub area but then it must be gfci protected.
From what I see, what you are saying is correct. - A few years ago this question came up and I am pretty sure I discussed this with an inspector and I think I was told that nothing could be within that area that is not rated for a damp location. However, this doesn't seem correct to me. It's possible that the inspector misunderstood what I was asking him or maybe I didn't understand him.... I have also seen, and installed, fans within this "restricted" area for luminaires and I have never been called on it. Thanks for your answer! I hope you know you just helped me to become a better contractor.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
From what I see, what you are saying is correct. - A few years ago this question came up and I am pretty sure I discussed this with an inspector and I think I was told that nothing could be within that area that is not rated for a damp location. However, this doesn't seem correct to me. It's possible that the inspector misunderstood what I was asking him or maybe I didn't understand him.... I have also seen, and installed, fans within this "restricted" area for luminaires and I have never been called on it. Thanks for your answer! I hope you know you just helped me to become a better contractor.
It depends on the height from the threshold of the shower. If the fan allows the install per its instructions then you are good to go-- this means it is rated damp location.

If you look at 410.10(D) those items are pendant type units. 410.10 (A) tells us about rating

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
One would have thought the 'international nec' (circa '02 ?) move to oust the term fixture an introduce luminaire would have calmed all the definitionally challenged.

Or at least stopped plumbers from bolting toilets to ceilings.....:rolleyes:

Yet the term (french) can encompass a cornucopia of possibilities>>>>

lampe, cierge, lustre, torche, fanal, candélabre, plafonnier, quinquet, bougie, réverbère, lumignon, flambeau, lampadaire, chandelle, loupiote, ampoule
~C(we bougie)S~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts