Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and others...

I was hoping some of you could offer some insight. Here is the dilemma.
The company i work for is currently expanding our reach in the following locations: NJ,NY,PA,DE,MD,VA,WV. The ownership holds a Masters Lic. in all areas however, he cannot perform the work himself. Rather than bite the HR bullet and hire mass amounts of electricians in each state with the "hope" of enough work to keep them all going 40+ hrs/week, I was looking to Sub-contract projects as they come in.

Can anyone recomend any resources in those areas? Or possibly a subcontractor network that would have information such as performance ratings, etc on ECs in those areas. Hell maybe someone reading this operates in these territories....

Thoughts?

-Marc

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Gentlemen and others...

The company i work for is currently expanding our reach in the following locations: NJ,NY,PA,DE,MD,VA,WV. The ownership holds a Masters Lic. in all areas however, he cannot perform the work himself. Rather than bite the HR bullet and hire mass amounts of electricians in each state with the "hope" of enough work to keep them all going 40+ hrs/week, I was looking to Sub-contract projects as they come in.

Can anyone recomend any resources in those areas? Or possibly a subcontractor network that would have information such as performance ratings, etc on ECs in those areas. Hell maybe someone reading this operates in these territories....

Thoughts?

-Marc
What areas of NJ?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not trying to wave a banner for one team or another, but this scenario calls for exactly what they provide. Contact the appropriate IBEW locals where you're bidding work. I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest benefits of the IBEW is often overshadowed by more political objectives.

Their biggest benefit to a contractor is the immediate access to uniformly trained manpower. Manpower can be hired as needed with no obligation to keep said manpower after the project is wrapped up.

They would be familiar with local code requirements and likely have all the required training (electrical is obvious) to walk on any jobsite, for example: first aid, cpr, OSHA 10/30, PSM, CgMP, aerial platform, powder actuated tools, etc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Gentlemen and others...

Thoughts?

-Marc
Pm me I have a few different licenses

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not trying to wave a banner for one team or another, but this scenario calls for exactly what they provide. Contact the appropriate IBEW locals where you're bidding work. I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest benefits of the IBEW is often overshadowed by more political objectives.

Their biggest benefit to a contractor is the immediate access to uniformly trained manpower. Manpower can be hired as needed with no obligation to keep said manpower after the project is wrapped up.

They would be familiar with local code requirements and likely have all the required training (electrical is obvious) to walk on any jobsite, for example: first aid, cpr, OSHA 10/30, PSM, CgMP, aerial platform, powder actuated tools, etc.
While I appreciate all that the IBEW has to offer by way of highly skilled labor and sources of man power. We are NOT a NECA contractor. I agree with your testament about being overshadowed by political propaganda. whats good for the hall isnt always good for the guy!

Unfortunately we will not be sourcing IBEW labor as the projects I am referring too will be performed directly for owners, not GCs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts