Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any other experience, good, bad or neutral with General Protecht products? Thinking of ordering 100-some TR receptacles, and even if I just get one or ten to try, there's a limited amount, albeit not unimportant, that I can tell by examining them compared to what you might have learned through field experience.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Anyone have any other experience, good, bad or neutral with General Protecht products? Thinking of ordering 100-some TR receptacles, and even if I just get one or ten to try, there's a limited amount, albeit not unimportant, that I can tell by examining them compared to what you might have learned through field experience.
They're a china firm,and it looks like they are beating out the American firms:no:

http://www.globalatlanta.com/articl...-general-protecht-wins-appeal-in-patent-case/

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of buying/installing General Protecht TR receptacles. UL listed, great price, but I don't know the company. I see a report that they improperly applied a UL mark to GFCIs that shouldn't have had it, and that makes me more nervous. Has anyone experience installing, using or being called to troubleshoot and finding their products?

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa

'nuff said.

Without a U.S. (/Canadian/ suchlike) OEM taking responsibility, putting their rep on the line, I wouldn't dare. O.K., maybe with bocce balls or something suchlike; but shoddy electrical products can kill.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
19,993 Posts
I'm thinking of buying/installing General Protecht TR receptacles. UL listed, great price, but I don't know the company. I see a report that they improperly applied a UL mark to GFCIs that shouldn't have had it, and that makes me more nervous. Has anyone experience installing, using or being called to troubleshoot and finding their products?

Thanks
Ok, tell us what a great price is.
If you are only buying 100 and saving one or two dollars per unit, I wouldn't do it.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
I've seen and installed these cheap POS chinese GFIs for guys I've worked for. The amount of call backs negated any profit that might have been made on the lower priced material.

If the almighty dollar bottom line is THAT important to you that you have to resort to buying and installing this sh*t I feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it would save at least several dollars per item; but . . .

I had been interested in their TR receptacles, and I definitely am not ordering them. Too great a potential hazard associated with defects, and so much of it's potential is invisible.

I haven't totally decided to forget ordering a trial few bubble covers, but I told the seller, Homelectric, that I want to confirm both the product's UL listing and its "Extra-Duty" rating. The rep claims they comply with the 2014 NEC.

Anyone have a link where I can look up UL Registration numbers and find owner names/product descriptions/listings?

I'd like to be able to trust Chinese OEMs. Maybe some day. At present, they're responsible for such a high proportion of counterfeits. They have the capability. If they didn't, there wouldn't be such a very great number of U.S. firms outsourcing our products' manufacturing to Chinese subcontractors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
General Protecht is now Tollea USA

Learned this from Homelectric, the mail-order outfit offering them. Still wholly in China.

Honest but bloody ignorant lady. I think I prefer honest if I can't get honest plus qualified. She had said their bubble covers were UL compliant, 2008, 2011, 2014. I explained about "Extra Duty." She couldn't find any such marking, and said so. "c UL us," okay; "3111," signifying I dunno what "3HZV," which almost looks like a UL category. Finally, they are marked "meets UL 514 standard." If I were tempted, I wouldn't touch them without the "Extra Duty" marking, even though the 2013 White Book says, under QCMZ, "may be marked 'Extra Duty.'"

Braw lassie. I'd like to order from her, if I could think of something that would be safe to order!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.