Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a code update course for 2014 and I came across something that made me re-think what I thought about UF wire installations. - Can you run UF cable exposed on the outside of a building (no conduit) if it is not subject to physical damage? Article 225.10 (2014 NEC) seems to permit this... Have I been wrong about the use of UF? I thought it could not be run exposed on the outside of a structure.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Paul S. said:
I am taking a code update course for 2014 and I came across something that made me re-think what I thought about UF wire installations. - Can you run UF cable exposed on the outside of a building (no conduit) if it is not subject to physical damage? Article 225.10 (2014 NEC) seems to permit this... Have I been wrong about the use of UF? I thought it could not be run exposed on the outside of a structure.
Who interpretation of "subject to physical damage are you going by? Bob homeowners, yours or some ahole inspector?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
If it is exposed on the outside of a building, how would it not be subject to physical damage?
If you come out of the ground and go up the side of the building it's subject to physical damage. It should be protected until it reaches a height where you're not going to hit it with your weed whip. 300.5 (D) (1)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If you come out of the ground and go up the side of the building it's subject to physical damage. It should be protected until it reaches a height where you're not going to hit it with your weed whip. 300.5 (D) (1)
I guess what I'm saying, is that I wouldn't install uf exposed. If it's not in the dirt, it would be in conduit.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
There is no definition of "subject to physical damage" or "subject to severe physical damage". This is is subjective and you really need to know your AHJ's definition.

I like "if you can see it, it is subject to physical damage":)

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I was called for a pro opinion by a realtor involved in a sale of a sing. fam home literally wired from the outside in with UF. There were places where the clapboards were full of UF runs neatly stapled in rows of 5-6

The only thing i could offer was the entirely objective 'exposed to physical and/or environmental damage' , which after 30 odd yrs was evident.

Conversely, the same stance can be applied to the many garages and barns , UC lights , dishwashers, disposals and furnaces seen with exposed wiring.

It comes down to usage. And that usage is never something we can count on

How many of you have seen basement wiring used as clothslines ?

~CS~

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,702 Posts
There is no definition of "subject to physical damage" or "subject to severe physical damage". This is is subjective and you really need to know your AHJ's definition.

I like "if you can see it, it is subject to physical damage":)
I wouldn't go that far but I can see up to 8' from the floor it must be protected. Not a bad thing to do.

Reactions: Paul S.

·
Registered
931 Posts
only hacks staple SEC to a building wall...and UF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts