Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Older 70's home, back to back service that im upgrading. The old #4 bare copper came out of the panel and hit the water heater, id like to pull it up into the attic from the WH, put a split bolt on, and extend it all the way to where the cold water enters the house...

See anything wrong with this? It would still land in the panel instead of the meter base, It also wont be a solid unbroken conductor, but that is only supposed to be for the first grounding electrode, which the ground rods in this case would be - and they would land in the meter base.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is just a bonding conductor and not your grounding electrode conductor, you can use a split bolt. If it was, you have to use an irreversible splice like a crimp.
.....AND, correct me if im wrong here, my #6 going to the 2 ground rods
is my grounding electrode conductor. Right? The cold water ground is simply an additional bonding conductor...

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
.....AND, correct me if im wrong here, my #6 going to the 2 ground rods
is my grounding electrode conductor. Right? The cold water ground is simply an additional bonding conductor...
cold water pipes would be your second grounding
electrode conductor, part of your GES..250.50

·
Registered
25 Posts
Would this exercise not be dictated by whether "bringing the #4 back to where the water enters the building" is bringing this conductor to a location that is a grounding electrode, if not, split bolt it and use the made electrodes. If the water pipe entering the building was in fact an electrode it would trump the made electrodes and require a non-reversable or continuous grounding electrode conductor.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
The old #4 bare copper came out of the panel and hit the water heater, id like to pull it up into the attic from the WH, put a split bolt on, and extend it all the way to where the cold water enters the house...

Just curious.....why? To keep the inspector from having to go in the house?

You could put another pipe clamp on it at the W/H and your new wire would be a bonding jumper.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious.....why? To keep the inspector from having to go in the house?

You could put another pipe clamp on it at the W/H and your new wire would be a bonding jumper.
I would've never thought of that. Good call 220 :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,054 Posts
Is there metal water pipe feeding the building?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there metal water pipe feeding the building?
Yes. Its in the crawlspace on the complete opposite side of the house. I'm trying to wrap my head around an easy, complaint way of bonding it where it comes in at without having to fish walls or cause anymore work.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You'd have to use an irreversable crimp as you are using the water pipe as an electrode...thus this is a GEC and would have to be continuous to within 5' of entry.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,054 Posts
Yes. Its in the crawlspace on the complete opposite side of the house. I'm trying to wrap my head around an easy, complaint way of bonding it where it comes in at without having to fish walls or cause anymore work.
I agree with deep cover. The only way to be compliant is to use the irreversible splice or run a new grounding electrode conductor on the outside around the house to where the water line enters

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with deep cover. The only way to be compliant is to use the irreversible splice or run a new grounding electrode conductor on the outside around the house to where the water line enters
Alright...another question. Have you ever had any problems with landing one GEC in a MB panel, while your other GEC for your ground rods land in the meter base?

In this situation, it would be easier. And like I said before, its a back to back service so the grounds & neutrals are all together. I cant see this being a code violation.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,054 Posts
Alright...another question. Have you ever had any problems with landing one GEC in a MB panel, while your other GEC for your ground rods land in the meter base?

In this situation, it would be easier. And like I said before, its a back to back service so the grounds & neutrals are all together. I cant see this being a code violation.
We always do it that way- not a violations but some pocos don't allow it in the base-- none here that I know about

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Can't Remember
10,434 Posts
Some want it that way. Ours wants one in the meter socket. I usually drive rods from the meter socket and run water pipe from panel.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
It's that way at my panel; not how I do it in business though, they like them together at the meter here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts