Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the rules on running pipes into the top
of a nema 3r enclosure ?

I would figure that would not make it very weather proof.

Im trying to figure how to position gear coming out of a 10x10x72 utility line trough.

If I avoid the cutting the top of the enclosure it doesn’t look that great having to use 90’s and more pipe runs sweeping up into multiple assemblies coming from the bottom of the can.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
All the crappy Nema 1 indoor load centers with half ass usually cracked open concentric ko's I guess have drain holes as well considering. So maybe we can start putting them outside on the exterior of the house........

·
Hackenschmidt
13,730 Posts
There are specifications for the manufacture of NEMA 3R enclosures that prohibit punching KOs above the energized parts, so a lot of 3R cans only have prepunched holes on the bottom. Some of them the instructions for the equipment will tell you where you can punch holes, and the NEC would require you follow those instructions. Other than that, I can't think of any NEC rule that would prohibit you from making holes elsewhere. Of course you'd have to use suitable fittings such as sealing locknuts or Myers hubs.

You could probably enter the equipment with a KO low on the side using an LL or LR condulet, that won't look bad IMO. That way any seepage is going to drain down the side and out the bottom rather than drip on exposed energized parts. It might not work out well for wire bending space, you'd have to think about that and possibly oversize the conduit to get more bending space in the condulet.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
4,224 Posts
that would be one of those things to be considered in the planning stage

maybe you could extend the utility trough so that you arent coming down over the enclosure

i have always drawn a picture/plan with measurements of the setup i want to have, so that i can notice any possible problems/conflicts before ordering and building
i learned to do that the first time i had to add a new meter base and larger panel in a limited space area
my off the cuff plan A did not work out ,,, a more detailed plan B had to be devised

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
PPPPPPP

Remember that, and YES...

It takes time and forethought, if you're designing this intrinsic stuff as you're about to install...
You're under the gun and NOT in the smart, thoughtful EXECUTIVE "mode" you should be in to end up with a 1st class install because... you're in "Just do it, GIT 'ER DONE" production mode and not in "Think this through" mode...

NOT easy to change the drivetrain in anyone's brain who's on a mission to impress... Quickly..."

What's required then is a little bit of inginuity, before the doctor and Captain Kirk freeze to death...

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
Don't forget about those insulated washers that I posted about few months ago , inspectors here seem to accept them like they would for a gasket locknut but less hassle to install.

Reactions: RUSKES

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Don't forget about those insulated washers that I posted about few months ago , inspectors here seem to accept them like they would for a gasket locknut but less hassle to install.
Just grabbed 2 dozen of those levitton dimmers you warned us about...
on closeout - 90% off.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sealing rings work great when properly installed. I have used the T&B brand for many years inside and out, for water and oil-tight machine applications. It’s about impossible for them to go bad other than workmanship. Stainless and santopeine construction.

Punch a clean hole instead of chewing one with a hole saw

Good option. First im going to make a 3rd design raising the main power trough above all the gear and drop down into the equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
914 Posts
Im trying to figure how to position gear coming out of a 10x10x72 utility line trough.
This sounds like every retail strip building in America. They have a tap can fed from pad xfmer with a 12x12x(8' or 10') N3R wireway coming out of each side.
Every engineer designs them with the specific intent to penetrate the top for meters and service disconnects.
What are ya'll talking about?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
This sounds like every retail strip building in America. They have a tap can fed from pad xfmer with a 12x12x(8' or 10') N3R wireway coming out of each side.
Every engineer designs them with the specific intent to penetrate the top for meters and service disconnects.
What are ya'll talking about?
Engineers ? Lol

I’m designing this with equipment cut sheets.

This is actually a mixed use building. It’s residential but has administrative offices that run a national historic site/museum/gift shop.

I do basic very basic design on my computer, maybe I’ll have the balls to post it ….

It’s so much easier when I get drawn out sheets, but I do charge a design fee.

This one is more work because we were given permission to use existing equipment until the new equipment comes in. We are adding some new stuff now including a 10x10x72 trough.
So I’m designing all the KO configurations to work the the existing and new setup so it should be plug and play once the new stuff comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

1 - 18 of 18 Posts