Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked on a design to have to extend (1) 4" conduits for (4) 500kcmil and (1) 3G, for a new 400A panel which is located on a second floor. I have it to penetrate the exterior wall of the second floor ceiling and then come down from the ceiling to the new panel. During construction, the GC found a steel beam that doesn't allow going through the ceiling. question is, is there any code that prevents me from going around the steal beam as there are some existing smaller conduits shown in the photo. or if I can run the conduit in the exterior wall and penetrate the ceiling from where it's possible. i will greatly appreciate your help.
1626277716675.png

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
165 Posts
Find a different path than the outside one you will never be able to make those bends then you will have a ton of boxes and lbs you won’t be able to pull through

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,729 Posts
Whatever you do, consider the cable pull. Which you obviously didn't do with your blue sharpie. THAT would have been a b**ch.

More pics might get you more answers.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
can i run it through the attic instead of the ceiling?
Why not, sure. As long as it's ok with the customer.
It looks like the 2 junction boxes above are blocking your path. Is there any way you could mount another j-box below the window and then jog over and come up between the windows?
Do you have clearance from the walkway to possibly do it that and save a couple of bends.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,575 Posts
PVC, EMT, or Aluminum rigid? If PVC use straps that allow for expansion. Months back someone posted these neat looking straps that clamp the pipe but allow it to slide. They were metal straps.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
165 Posts
PVC, EMT, or Aluminum rigid? If PVC use straps that allow for expansion. Months back someone posted these neat looking straps that clamp the pipe but allow it to slide. They were metal straps.
If any one were to run all that in pvc they should just give up. no pride in craftsmanship whatsoever

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,575 Posts
If any one were to run all that in pvc they should just give up. no pride in craftsmanship whatsoever
You would be surprised what people do. I prefer Aluminum rigid for outside work. EMT will rust out over time.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
What is in the smaller Jbox? Can you come into that box in the bottom then out the side or top ( can't tell room on side.)

Remember no more than 360 degrees between pull points 270 with that size if possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts