Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made the mistake of responding to a Facebook friend's post "is anyone on my friendslist an electrician?"

Turns out they bought this commercial griddle from Amazon and want to use it in the kitchen in their apartment:

He was under the impression he could just install an Edison plug on the end of it (it comes with wire leads) and plug it in to one of his kitchen outlets. From the looks of the Amazon comments, lots of people have been doing just that and tripping breakers.

I told him it wouldnt work with a normal outlet and he needed to talk to his landlord before he could do anything else.

If he had owned his house, I would have told him it had to be hard wired. He wanted a plug.

WHAT in the world are you supposed to do with these? I've seen plenty of commercial 208-240 and/or 277v griddles. If memory serves, all were hard wired. I've never seen a "110v" rated one.

·
Dope-less Hope Fiend
electrician
713 Posts
It's possible to use a 240 volt 3 prong plug and outlet.

Wire them with a hot, a neutral, and ground, rather than the 240 wiring.

You'll need a new single phase circuit (40 or 50 amp).

Makes more sense to hard wire it, rather than jury-rig this setup.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,407 Posts
I guess there's supposed to be a 50 amp 120 circuit nearby...........

Why in the world would anyone manufacture any device that is 4400W 110V? Especially a griddle that will go to 572F.......

I've seen some pretty high-current 120V industrial stuff but not something like this.

If there's a 30 amp 240 circuit available, the best solution might be a 5KVA 240/120 transformer. It'll be about 10X10X14 and weigh about 100 lbs.

If the circuit is 50 amp 4 wire, you could use 1 leg and the neutral, as noted above, or if it's 3 wire, get a 50 amp 1 pole breaker (yes, they make them) and reconnect the wires for 120.

·
Registered
Industrial Maintenance Electrician
61 Posts
It's possible to use a 240 volt 3 prong plug and outlet.

Wire them with a hot, a neutral, and ground, rather than the 240 wiring.

You'll need a new single phase circuit (40 or 50 amp).

Makes more sense to hard wire it, rather than jury-rig this setup.
I guess the point is portability? Not sure why you'd want a portable commercial strength grill in your house but that's just me

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming this is sold by some overseas seller who doesnt understand how the US electrical system works.

I also wonder if it's designed to work on 240v, for half the current.

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW I'm not touching it. This dude doesnt even live near me. He wanted me to walk him through "putting a plug in it" which is a big no.

·
Registered
Industrial Maintenance Electrician
61 Posts
I love the gentle hum of my transformer in the kitchen. It's a comfort to know I never need to turn the furnace up in cold weather. Doubles as a griddle itself. What's not to love?
Mount the transformer downstairs under the kitchen floor for easy heated floors on those cold mornings where you want to cook 16 pounds of bacon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Reminds me of the big clive video of the automatic house ignitor. Does it come in pink?
I dont know what features I like more, the 3 layer armor or the pull out ashtray in the front.
If its anything like the bathroom lights my wife found on amazon, the only sticker on it will say "china" and it wont have a bond wire on it.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,494 Posts
All of this is conjecture is completely unnecessary about how it would work in the US or Canada. If you have a GE panel with the optional Never-Trip breakers, or the FPE Auto-Ignitor, it will work just fine. Bacon on one side, ground beef on the other for a bacon cheeseburger picnic.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts
Does anyone else find it funny that the contributors to this thread have collectively (and maybe individually) put more thought into the safety and practicality of this product than the manufacturer did?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It absolutely was meant for 220. Someone said "Hey Mr Wong, we could sell a lot more of these to the US if you made a 110v version."

And then he went:
(Backspace)(backspace)(backspace)(1)(1)(0)

When is the last time you saw anything rated "110v" anyway? The motor on a 1960's Sears air compressor?

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It absolutely was meant for 220. Someone said "Hey Mr Wong, we could sell a lot more of these to the US if you made a 110v version."

And then he went:
(Backspace)(backspace)(backspace)(1)(1)(0)

When is the last time you saw anything rated "110v" anyway? The motor on a 1960's Sears air compressor?
I was very tempted to tell the person "This is rated for 110v, and you have 120v"

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
193 Posts
I'm assuming this is sold by some overseas seller who doesnt understand how the US electrical system works.

I also wonder if it's designed to work on 240v, for half the current.
i would check that as best i could, but i would be skeptical. control issues

·
Registered
Low Voltage, Multi-Family Residential Electrical Construction, Fire Alarm and Life Safety
113 Posts
In reading the comments on Amazon, it's likely that the seller of this item expects the buyers to have the same level of electrical acumen as he does.

When I was young in the trade, if something like this landed on my door step I certainly would have figured out how to get it working and figure out how not to trip the breaker. But I was also too young and dumb to realize that not everyone could figure that out and that it's not common sense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts