Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a job fail inspection yesterday for "Not installing material as specified on the construction documents". We installed a panel rated for 120/240 single phase when the plans called for a 120/208 single phase panel. Looks like we'll have to replace that panel.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Had a job fail inspection yesterday for "Not installing material as specified on the construction documents". We installed a panel rated for 120/240 single phase when the plans called for a 120/208 single phase panel. Looks like we'll have to replace that panel.
And where are you going to get one?

Sounds like the inspector needs to study electrical theory..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The 240 v is a max. You should be good at anything 240 or below. I've never seen a single phase 208 v service anyway. Is this residential? I think your inspector is nit picking.

·
Experience Member
86 Posts
Is this residential or light commercial??

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the engineer is on board:

I would first try to send the drawings back for a re-review and pay the fee. It's gotta be cheaper than having to eat the labor and material cost of a new panel.

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
This an official response from macmikeman- The inspector is clearly and codewise incorrect in his assertions.

you are hereby given permission to submit this post to his superior's so it gets attended to .

·
Registered
376 Posts
This an official response from macmikeman- The inspector is clearly and codewise incorrect in his assertions.

you are hereby given permission to submit this post to his superior's so it gets attended to .

Will there be official Macmikeman notarized letter to follow? :laughing:

·
Registered
575 Posts

If you're going to cave that easily then yes, you'll have to replace the panel when you find one. :blink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, okay, I left out the funny part. It's a school board job that's T+M, so I'm paying myself for the time I invest calling the SH looking for a 208 panel (they deserve a laugh too), the time to write the RFI to the Engineer, and the time to laugh about it here. And I'm paying myself for the time it takes to pay the reinspection fee as well as including the reinspection fee on the T+M invoice.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to fight the inspector.:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
What exactly is the difference between a 208 panel and a 240 panel ?
apart from the voltage of course
I have never seen a panel at the supply house
marked "danger 208v only ".

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Well, okay, I left out the funny part. It's a school board job that's T+M, so I'm paying myself for the time I invest calling the SH looking for a 208 panel (they deserve a laugh too), the time to write the RFI to the Engineer, and the time to laugh about it here. And I'm paying myself for the time it takes to pay the reinspection fee as well as including the reinspection fee on the T+M invoice.

Sounds like you're getting paid, and very well.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts

So you're getting $$$ for our trades version of BDSM Poddude?

This is freakin' genius! :thumbup:

go you!:laughing:~CS~:whistling2:

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts

Of course, you need 208V breakers to go into that panel as well.

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Will there be official Macmikeman notarized letter to follow? :laughing:
Better than that, I am dispatching Backstay, my official ambassador for the Planet Macmikeman to go there on a personal mission to straighten out that stupid SOB inspector, man to man. I'd go myself, but Central Florida is a cold wasteland this time of year. Definitely too cold for citizens of the Planet Macmikeman.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, we failed again today. We replaced an existing fused disconnect with a MCB panel and feed thru lugs. The disconnect was still on the job, and the wise inspector noticed that it said "Service Entrance Rated" and that our new panel does not have that listing. So we have to rework everything to put the disconnect in ahead of the MCB panel. I could point out that the panel is being fed from a transformer, being fed from a disconnect, being fed from a panel, that is being fed from the service entrance equipment, but at these rates, I'd be crazy to argue about it.

It's not cronyism, nepotism, maybe this is electricianism? I don't know, but I'll take these rejections every day if I can get them.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Well, we failed again today. We replaced an existing fused disconnect with a MCB panel and feed thru lugs. The disconnect was still on the job, and the wise inspector noticed that it said "Service Entrance Rated" and that our new panel does not have that listing. So we have to rework everything to put the disconnect in ahead of the MCB panel. I could point out that the panel is being fed from a transformer, being fed from a disconnect, being fed from a panel, that is being fed from the service entrance equipment, but at these rates, I'd be crazy to argue about it.

It's not cronyism, nepotism, maybe this is electricianism? I don't know, but I'll take these rejections every day if I can get them.
If it's the first disconnect in a seperately derived system, shouldn't it be service rated?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts