Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Wrong because you did not heed the INSTRUCTIONS which werew NOT to guess at unanswered questions, your score is based on what you answered correctly against what you answered incorrectly.
And exactly where were these instructions? They did not come from the person giving the test.

Based on this an your other postings, it's a good thing you're not going to make it in. Apprenticeships are for apprentices, not rediscovered 50-somethings looking for a quick and easy pension to make up for their life's mistakes.
So in your humble opinion, if your first career seems to be shot at 48, then you should just roll over and die? I bet your a real fun guy to hang out with. NOT!

And exactly where were these instructions? They did not come from the person giving the test.

So in your humble opinion, if your first career seems to be shot at 48, then you should just roll over and die? I bet your a real fun guy to hang out with. NOT!

I have a friend on his 5th career. Some people get bored, some never settle in or the field they are in dies, others see bigger cash.

Not sure about getting in the local at an older age? There use to be an age limit on apprentices.

I got in at 38 another in my class was 45. I will be an old man when I retire again. Most of the folks I am working with will retire in there late 50s, I will have to got to 62.

So you say.

Are you kidding? I'm a legend in my own mind! As for your question, if by the age of 48 you're looking to go from a lifelong cubicle dwelling paper pusher to construction, you probably failed to make any worthwhile backup plans and outright ignored the networking everyone has been doing since the 80's.

HUH?

You mean 51?
I am 56 now and plan to work at least 15 more years. 71 is early for me.

Heard on the news dementia can be delayed by 6 weeks for every extra year you work, so my delaying for nine years you retirement you pick up a year.

That is not why I am staying around. I like what I do and have a 17 year old daughter that wants to go to med school, plus I have 3 in college at present.

I got one in high school, one just finish her second year as a history major. She is thinking of Law school. I will probably have to work a few more years for that.

I got one in high school, one just finish her second year as a history major. She is thinking of Law school. I will probably have to work a few more years for that.
One a Junior in HS
One starting second year as an engineering student
One in last year as a history major.
One in grad school for political science.

Based on this an your other postings, it's a good thing you're not going to make it in. Apprenticeships are for apprentices, not rediscovered 50-somethings looking for a quick and easy pension to make up for their life's mistakes.
Wow...

I'm not joking here when I say that you really are an asshole. Honestly, you couldn't have proven it any better than you have.

Wow...

I'm not joking here when I say that you really are an asshole. Honestly, you couldn't have proven it any better than you have.

That was the union position in many areas for years. As for LGLS attitude he just sees things differently than you and others, BUT what would this forum be without him.

Union position or not, for him to talk to another man like that, for no good reason, behind the security of a keyboard is just lame.
Well 1900 I'm sorry you feel that way, but you're entitled to your opinion. Some people see the pension as some magical pile of mystery money that just appears out of nowhere. I've seen people manipulate their lives to get in on multiple pension systems in a manner that would make a AIG executive blush.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Well 1900 I'm sorry you feel that way, but you're entitled to your opinion. Some people see the pension as some magical pile of mystery money that just appears out of nowhere. I've seen people manipulate their lives to get in on multiple pension systems in a manner that would make a AIG executive blush.
Well I honestly don't even know what the IBEW pension plan is?
So your speculation on that point was so much bull!
But really I have enough in my IRA to not be worried.
Now that I know what is on the test, I will go retake it in November,
and I'm sure I will do just fine. No thanks to any of your, err, helpful suggestions.
In the meantime I will keep building websites, collecting ad revenue, and selling off my domain names for whopping profits. It might be hard for a Guy like you to understand why someone my age would want a job in the trades, but I actually enjoyed this type of work when I was younger. I have built and installed commercial signs, worked as a telecommunications technician, and worked for an Electrical Company while in college. I get a certain satisfaction in working with my hands that can't be had sitting behind a computer screen all day. Physical things are just more tangible than computer software, in a sense that your work will be around for years to come and it's something you can point at and say: I built that sign, or I did the electrical in that building, ...

Discussion starter · #56 · (Edited)
Union position or not, for him to talk to another man like that, for no good reason, behind the security of a keyboard is just lame.
Well he can speculate about my intentions, and ramble on all he wants, but really I do have thick skin and it's not like he is going to hurt my feelings or discourage me in any way. For all we know, he is on the bench, bitter about it and feeling a need to take it all out on someone else.

Well I honestly don't even know what the IBEW pension plan is?
So your speculation on that point was so much bull!
But really I have enough in my IRA to not be worried.
Now that I know what is on the test, I will go retake it in November,
and I'm sure I will do just fine. No thanks to any of your, err, helpful suggestions.
Well then here's another helpful suggestion-

Many IBEW locals are remaking themselves in many respects, including adopting a whole new testing procedure. Unless you're a blithering idiot, which I don't think you are, you should have no problem with most of it based solely on your age and life experience. But the tests are getting far more math intense, not so much because you really need to be a math major to be an electrician, but because of all the computerized and computer systems related work we do.

I strongly suggest you get up to the same speed as a good 10th grade HS student in the math department.

In the meantime I will keep building websites, collecting ad revenue, and selling off my domain names for whopping profits. It might be hard for a Guy like you to understand why someone my age would want a job in the trades, but I actually enjoyed this type of work when I was younger.
Did you think tradesman don't enjoy their work? I know in some areas the trades are what you end up with when all else fails or doesn't seem worth trying... but here, 14,000 applied to take our apprentice test for 250 openings...

I have built and installed commercial signs, worked as a telecommunications technician, and worked for an Electrical Company while in college. I get a certain satisfaction in working with my hands that can't be had sitting behind a computer screen all day. Physical things are just more tangible than computer software, in a sense that your work will be around for years to come and it's something you can point at and say: I built that sign, or I did the electrical in that building, ...

well warnerms all i can say to you is, good luck. if you want to learn the electrical trade, then so be it, do it. but you may want to think about maybe doing a two certification at a technical school, then one year in construction business management, take a journeyman test, then become a project manager. this would be the best solution for your age and back.

good luck. dont let these guys get you down. if you dream a dream, get at it and show em whats up. then in three to five years, you could be one of their bosses.

Well then here's another helpful suggestion-

Many IBEW locals are remaking themselves in many respects, including adopting a whole new testing procedure. Unless you're a blithering idiot, which I don't think you are, you should have no problem with most of it based solely on your age and life experience. But the tests are getting far more math intense, not so much because you really need to be a math major to be an electrician, but because of all the computerized and computer systems related work we do.

I strongly suggest you get up to the same speed as a good 10th grade HS student in the math department.

Did you think tradesman don't enjoy their work? I know in some areas the trades are what you end up with when all else fails or doesn't seem worth trying... but here, 14,000 applied to take our apprentice test for 250 openings...

When i took the test way back in 98 if was totally different from what it was on the 18th of may. All i remember was putting pegs in the boxes etc, and a brief test. this test was allot of math 52/170 ?'s.

So they are taking 250 for this apprenticeship. When i took the test in 98 i got my letter saying I passed and went for the interview. Then got my letter in sept 01 saying i got in.

So now When i pass this test and go for my interview if I'm in The top 250 i will be called for this apprenticeship, if I'm 250 or less I'll just have to wait till they get to my rank is that right.

Pretty much. They're taking 250 for this year, will take another ??? the next time they start a class, etc. I dunno how low they go on the list before they scrap the rest of the applicants and re-open the whole test again, but based on the apprentice I had yesterday it's pretty darn phucking low.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.