Electrician Talk banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts
Pretty much. They're taking 250 for this year, will take another ??? the next time they start a class, etc. I dunno how low they go on the list before they scrap the rest of the applicants and re-open the whole test again, but based on the apprentice I had yesterday it's pretty darn phucking low.

so its probably a year between classes. Cause when i was a 1st year in Feb 02( I started school 1st)(then work in June 02) They started another class that sept if i remember correctly.(again that class didn't start work right away). I mean if I pass the test, then i take the interview. I don't care how long i have to wait I will get back in and do things the right way. I'm older and wiser than i was back in 02.

Well I had been reviewing Algebra for the last month, but was just too slow to complete the math test in the allotted time: 35 questions/40 minutes. I was just over half done when the guy giving the test gave us the 2 minute warning, then I started frantically filling in the dots at random. Like that was really going to work :( I'm feeling pretty damn low at the moment, because I did well on the Compass Exam, and went all the way through Calculus in college. I just got stuck on more than one question and did not realize I had burned up so much time.

My question is this: Are there any realistic practice test for the Math part of this exam?
I hope you realized that 2 minutes being in a frenzy is what failed you the test.

I just took my test today, and the Math part was hard!
They had the nerve to only give us 40 minutes for it too.
I couldn't believe it.
I only got thru halfway before he stated 2 minutes were left.
I took my time on each one though.

The reading portion was so easy it didnt make sense.
Most of the people finished it with time to spare, yet we had 15 mins longer than the math part?
WTF?
:mad:

I dont think i have ever felt time pass by so quickly.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Wrong because you did not heed the INSTRUCTIONS which werew NOT to guess at unanswered questions, your score is based on what you answered correctly against what you answered incorrectly.
And exactly where were these instructions? They did not come from the person giving the test.

So KEVGEEZ, were you given any instructions that would have indicated the above remark is actually credible? I sure the hell don't remember any?

And exactly where were these instructions? They did not come from the person giving the test.

So KEVGEEZ, were you given any instructions that would have indicated the above remark is actually credible? I sure the hell don't remember any?
Well our tester in Philly is a true asshole.
Through his foul language and general unprofessionalism, he didn't let on what to do exactly.
I think it is meant to weed out people that would just guess their way thru it.

One of the kids did however ask if we would be penalized for unanswered questions, and The tester told us "i can only tell you what is in these instructions"

Thank god for this thread, or i would have given in to temptation to fill in the rest as time ran out.

so its probably a year between classes. Cause when i was a 1st year in Feb 02( I started school 1st)(then work in June 02) They started another class that sept if i remember correctly.(again that class didn't start work right away). I mean if I pass the test, then i take the interview. I don't care how long i have to wait I will get back in and do things the right way. I'm older and wiser than i was back in 02.
If you're talking about local 3 they aren't accepting any new apprentices.there will not be a new class of TA 1's in september for at least a year.

If you're talking about local 3 they aren't accepting any new apprentices.there will not be a new class of TA 1's in september for at least a year.

Well I still have to wait for The interview then get my rank. The letter said that work would'nt start till at least Mid Year. They might take you into the program and have you start school in sept then work 6 months later.

apprenticeship

Well I still have to wait for The interview then get my rank. The letter said that work would'nt start till at least Mid Year. They might take you into the program and have you start school in sept then work 6 months later.
Maybe.things are tight right now there's a 32 week wait for a job ticket for a journeyman.did u ever try calling the joint board and see if you can take an aptitude test so u can skip ayear or two? What year were you when u dropped out? Maybe u can get back in under ur old contract cause the new ones brutal

Maybe.things are tight right now there's a 32 week wait for a job ticket for a journeyman.did u ever try calling the joint board and see if you can take an aptitude test so u can skip ayear or two? What year were you when u dropped out? Maybe u can get back in under ur old contract cause the new ones brutal
I was 1st year work and just starting 2nd year school( I started school in Jan 02, then work in June 02) i didn't drop out I had problems back then and resigned( failed a drug test) and under their 0 tolerance u had to go to meetings every Friday. go to an outpatient program( at your expense) show prof of full time work for at least a year. then after year re-apply and they would let u know if you got back in. I tried it for 3 months and didn't know any better and left when i shouldv'e stayed.

Also I don't care if the wait is 1-2 years as long as i know I'm on the list i'd do something till then.

Tough it out then.hopefully you get a second shot.it would be nice to see a kid like u get in and get a 2nd shot who really wants to get in and actually be anb asset to us
i feel the same way and with me being in the program I would have a slight edge as far as work cause i know what to expect. I had no idea what to expect when i started 1st time around! as far as school I still have all my books and Notes from 1st year so that would help. I pray every day that I did enough to get back in. I'm not the best test taker. But studied for the last month before the test. Although I wish i spent a little more time on the math. We'll See.

http://www.njatc.org/training/apprenticeship/sample/sample_test.html

Straight from the source.... under reminders for applicants, the total answered corrected gets weighted against the total number of questions, so if you guess at least you have a shot...
Of coarse. I dont understand how it could be otherwise in this situation. He shouldnt have spent all that time on 1 or 2 but at the end how would filling in the remainder as guesses hurt? Maybe a test like the SATs where they penalize no answer half of what they do for a wrong answer. But no penalty for an unanswered question? Reductio ad absurdum. If that were true then you can simply answer 2 questions you are completely sure of, leave the rest blank, and have a perfect score.

While I answered all the questions Id be lying if I said I thought it was easy. I havent worked these kinds of math problems since my first year at Temple in 98- a freshener course in Algebra and precalc. The toughest Q's were reducing polynomials and solving for variables (reorder an equation for one variable [m=etc...]). Basic algebra, sure, and maybe not a formula to remember but definitely a procedure to it that I havent exactly done since 98 or 99 though Ive had a lot of other math since. Here's one of the type of question I was struggling to remember how to solve (this is not the actual question its just made up from my head!)

[2] is squared or cubed [3]

......(12x[2] - yzx)............. (2x[-3] + x[2])
---------------------- = ----------------------
(5xy[3] + 16) (2y - -1)... (3yz[-2] - 4) (4z + 36)

Solve for X =

Then of coarse the answer was something like X = 64yz + y[3] - z[2] - blah blah

Im just unsure of how they score. The math part was 33 questions. The reading 36. Im confident I got every reading comp question correct. But do they score as a whole or separately? If separately then is 70% passing or 80%? That gives you a difference in headroom of 9 questions wrogn at the most or 6. If they grade them together than that doubles. Im thinking I got 5 wrong on the math at max but Id be lying if I said I wasnt concerned.

Of coarse. I dont understand how it could be otherwise in this situation. He shouldnt have spent all that time on 1 or 2 but at the end how would filling in the remainder as guesses hurt? Maybe a test like the SATs where they penalize no answer half of what they do for a wrong answer. But no penalty for an unanswered question? Reductio ad absurdum. If that were true then you can simply answer 2 questions you are completely sure of, leave the rest blank, and have a perfect score.

While I answered all the questions Id be lying if I said I thought it was easy. I havent worked these kinds of math problems since my first year at Temple in 98- a freshener course in Algebra and precalc. The toughest Q's were reducing polynomials and solving for variables (reorder an equation for one variable [m=etc...]). Basic algebra, sure, and maybe not a formula to remember but definitely a procedure to it that I havent exactly done since 98 or 99 though Ive had a lot of other math since. Here's one of the type of question I was struggling to remember how to solve (this is not the actual question its just made up from my head!)

[2] is squared or cubed [3]

......(12x[2] - yzx)............. (2x[-3] + x[2])
---------------------- = ----------------------
(5xy[3] + 16) (2y - -1)... (3yz[-2] - 4) (4z + 36)

Solve for X =

Then of coarse the answer was something like X = 64yz + y[3] - z[2] - blah blah

Im just unsure of how they score. The math part was 33 questions. The reading 36. Im confident I got every reading comp question correct. But do they score as a whole or separately? If separately then is 70% passing or 80%? That gives you a difference in headroom of 9 questions wrogn at the most or 6. If they grade them together than that doubles. Im thinking I got 5 wrong on the math at max but Id be lying if I said I wasnt concerned.
So are they fill in the blank/multiple choice? or a combination of both?

Multiple choice. Remember in school the answer sheet with all the circles you had to fill in with a pencil. The reading part was four, one page essays on random topics which you read and answered 8 or 10 questions from. Easy. I had time when I was done to go back and do almost that whole test again to double-check my answers.

What I remember with the math is sequences- a few 2nd order sequences, finding a function to match either a column of X and Y values or just a graph, nearly half of it was just giving you small and large equations with a variable and asking you to solve for a given value, A few were scenarios- Jack his this many eggs which spoil at this rate and theres twice as many carrots with 3 times as many grams of salt- blah blah and you have to either choose the equivalent equation or solve. I thought it was easy but for solving for variables and balancing equations because that is formulaic even if theres no formula and Im 28 and havent done similr problems in a decade so I just plain forgot the MO. That was maybe 5 Q's?

Multiple choice. Remember in school the answer sheet with all the circles you had to fill in with a pencil. The reading part was four, one page essays on random topics which you read and answered 8 or 10 questions from. Easy. I had time when I was done to go back and do almost that whole test again to double-check my answers.

What I remember with the math is sequences- a few 2nd order sequences, finding a function to match either a column of X and Y values or just a graph, nearly half of it was just giving you small and large equations with a variable and asking you to solve for a given value, A few were scenarios- Jack his this many eggs which spoil at this rate and theres twice as many carrots with 3 times as many grams of salt- blah blah and you have to either choose the equivalent equation or solve. I thought it was easy but for solving for variables and balancing equations because that is formulaic even if theres no formula and Im 28 and havent done similr problems in a decade so I just plain forgot the MO. That was maybe 5 Q's?
Cool thanks for the info man.... I should slam this out of the park, going back to school (after 8 years) for Computer science taking a summer algebra/trig class as we speak :thumbsup:

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.