Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister asks me what I'd charge to swap out a ceiling fan in her bedroom. I said make me breakfast and we're even. I get there this a.m. and theres 4 fans waiting for me. She decided to do all the bedrooms. 2 of which have switch controlled outlets with no ceiling box. Thanks sis!! Ill mail you an invoice.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
kgb62 said:
My sister asks me what I'd charge to swap out a ceiling fan in her bedroom. I said make me breakfast and we're even. I get there this a.m. and theres 4 fans waiting for me. She decided to do all the bedrooms. 2 of which have switch controlled outlets with no ceiling box. Thanks sis!! Ill mail you an invoice.
. I've limited the number of family members I'll do work for now , because of things like that . It starts off with one item , and the next thing you know , you're rewiring the whole house , lol ! I tell them , I'm not a non profit , or independently wealthy . That usually sends a clear message , lol !

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
drumnut08 said:
. I've limited the number of family members I'll do work for now , because of things like that . It starts off with one item , and the next thing you know , you're rewiring the whole house , lol ! I tell them , I'm not a non profit , or independently wealthy . That usually sends a clear message , lol !
My wife has a huge family and in that family are every trade you can think of and at least three are electricians , and still I end up being the go to guy.
Thought I was being smart by giving my brother inlaw a family rate for a basement Reno I did.
All it did was get the rest of them calling.
They all live at least an hr from me.
Prices went up real fast including rd time.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I wired my sister and brother in laws 2000 square foot addition for nothing. Also upgraded the service from 200 to 320A. I've always do e freebees for my family. Then again they are there to help me when I need it also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hate the "you know any electricians, wink wink" question. I always reply the yellow pages is full of them. I have no problem helping family and friends out, but I refuse to go in an attic or crawlspace for them, and usually make them help in some way. If they wanted me to do the whole job they would be paying full rate for it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
480sparky said:
The only family that gets free work is my parents. Everyone else pays full rate.
That is how I am. My parents have been there for me so many times that I don't mind doing anything for them for free. Rest of the family is full price and they never want me to do it and that is fine with me since I would rather not work for them.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Hmacanada said:
My wife has a huge family and in that family are every trade you can think of and at least three are electricians , and still I end up being the go to guy. Thought I was being smart by giving my brother inlaw a family rate for a basement Reno I did. All it did was get the rest of them calling. They all live at least an hr from me. Prices went up real fast including rd time.
. I'll do you one better . My cousin in law , who I've done a ton of work for , for a discounted rate , referred me to a friend of his . The friend thought he was getting the same deal , for some odd reason , lol ? I told my cousin , don't you ever refer work to me and tell them what I charge ! I said , for that move , now you pay what everyone else does ! I don't anticipate anymore work from him , but he's an a---hole , and I don't really care , lol !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.