Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an Emerson ceiling fan for a customer that is controlled by a 3-speed wall switch. Whenever the switch is moved from off to any of the speed settings, the TV signal from Dish is lost for a split second and the TV screen turns black. I contacted Emerson, and their tech support dept. said the fan switch is not radio frequency based and could not affect the TV picture. I replaced the switch yesterday, but the problem still exits. Note that the ceiling fan and TV are on the same circuit breaker.

Any ideas????

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
951 Posts
Sounds like a capacitor based fan switch, when you switch from one speed to another, the capacitor is discharging. This is a very tiny surge but it seems to be enough to affect the Dish.

Some capacitor based fan switches (and BTW, capacitor based fan switches are the only SILENT and RELIABLE fan switches) have resistors in parallel with the cap to absorb the discharge. You could open the switch and add them.

Or, wire the fan or the TV to a different circuit.

Or, add some filtering to the Dish's power.

Or: add a 1:1 transformer between either the fan and power or the dish and power.

Or remove the fan control and control the fan from the pullchain.

Or, tell the customer this is what happens with a high quality fan and a low quality TV provider on the same circuit, and they have to deal with it. How often will they be changing the fan speed, anyhow?!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Crazy, aggravating and can only be fixed by a life time of experience in the trade. Hope some one on here can help ya. Because I sure as hell can't. Lol good luck.

·
951 Posts
I have the same problem with just a standard switch.
Did not realize you were different than the OP. Please give more details-- fan model, what exactly prompts the outage, does the TV have to be restarted or does it come back on it's own?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to convince the customer to let me put the TV on a dedicated circuit breaker without success, so I guess she will have to live with this minor problem. At least the TV remains on the same channel. I also suggested the she contact DISH and schedule a service call, but I doubt she will.

·
951 Posts
I tried to convince the customer to let me put the TV on a dedicated circuit breaker without success, so I guess she will have to live with this minor problem. At least the TV remains on the same channel. I also suggested the she contact DISH and schedule a service call, but I doubt she will.
You gave her two options to fix it, and she declined, so it's her issue now. Was it going to be a significant additional charge to run the TV to a different circuit? If not, I cant believe she didnt go for it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
a power filter can be made from a cap and a choke. put a plug on one end and a whip on the other. Sell for 30 bucks, costs 28 to make. You keep two dollars for your time.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
I have the same problem with just a standard switch.
I've always had the problem with the picture freezing up, for a split second, when turning on any load, be it lights, fan or electric heater. The units affected are the Zenith and Insignia DTV converters. To me, it isn't anything to be concerned with. :rolleyes:

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Had a problem where the clients fan control would affect sensors tied into low voltage lights by the bed. Replaced the fan control with 1.5 Amp Lutron Ariadni AYFSQ-F-WH Fan Control - problem fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts