Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...aulty-pump-wiring-caused-colockum-tarps-fire/

COLOCKUM — Bad electrical wiring that powered an orchardist’s irrigation pump caused last summer’s Colockum Tarps Fire, which burned 80,000 acres, destroyed four homes and many outbuildings and caused dozens to flee their properties, the state says.

Longtime Colockum orchardist William Scroggie owned the improperly wired pump, which he used to irrigate his cherry orchard, the state Department of Natural Resources concluded in a report released Monday.

“Mr. Scroggie owned, maintained, controlled and operated the haphazardly wired irrigation pump system that caused the fire,” the report said.
An improperly spliced electrical wire was left exposed and laying on the ground along a path that connected Scroggie’s irrigation pump to an improperly wired electrical panel, the report said.

The exposed wires caused a sustained spark, called an “arc,” that ignited nearby brush and grasses, the report said.

Department of Natural Resources spokesman Bob Redling said the agency will seek to recover the $11 million cost of fighting the fire, which burned for weeks and deployed local, state and federal crews, including air support.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
Sounds like Mr. Scroggie needs a shotgun to the face. 3 fires in a row attributeable to this guy. Some people just never learn... :censored:

Reactions: randas

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Farms in Vermont are exempt from just about every manner of safety oversight. Especially true for family farms. Much of the cobwebbed old wiring run into the faces of open discos and panels full of chafe could spontaneously combust at any time.

~CS~

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I believe Iowa has an exemption for them too. I can only imagine that Wisconsin will follow suit if they actually let the licensing bill go through. Farmers are the most dangerous electricians, hands down. Grew up on a farm worked for a farmer and have done a ton of work on farms. Nothing better to hack than a cattle waterer with a heater in it!! Found one the other week with only a cheap receptacle wired on the end of the UF coming up under the unit. No box, no GFI, not even any tape.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I believe Iowa has an exemption for them too. I...........
Yes. I find it amazing that political lobbying and special-interest dollars can result in the state delegating a farmer's family as being unworthy of being protected by the law. I guess they think a farmer's spouse and kids as disposable.

........... Farmers are the most dangerous electricians, hands down........
Agreed. 10,000%. The absolute worst wiring I've ever seen is on farms.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I believe Iowa has an exemption for them too. I can only imagine that Wisconsin will follow suit if they actually let the licensing bill go through.
I think farms are exempt from permit requirements already. Licensing laws will do nothing for farms, handymen, or homeowners that want to do their own wiring. I'm not sure WTF it is designed to do. They don't even know who is going to enforce it. The question was asked to Tom Garvey and all he said was inspectors can enforce it. I suspect it will be a bunch of tattle-tailing from EC's that got their butt hurt.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...aulty-pump-wiring-caused-colockum-tarps-fire/

COLOCKUM — Bad electrical wiring that powered an orchardist’s irrigation pump caused last summer’s Colockum Tarps Fire, which burned 80,000 acres, destroyed four homes and many outbuildings and caused dozens to flee their properties, the state says.

Longtime Colockum orchardist William Scroggie owned the improperly wired pump, which he used to irrigate his cherry orchard, the state Department of Natural Resources concluded in a report released Monday.

“Mr. Scroggie owned, maintained, controlled and operated the haphazardly wired irrigation pump system that caused the fire,” the report said.
An improperly spliced electrical wire was left exposed and laying on the ground along a path that connected Scroggie’s irrigation pump to an improperly wired electrical panel, the report said.

The exposed wires caused a sustained spark, called an “arc,” that ignited nearby brush and grasses, the report said.

Department of Natural Resources spokesman Bob Redling said the agency will seek to recover the $11 million cost of fighting the fire, which burned for weeks and deployed local, state and federal crews, including air support.
...tired of seeing this type of response to an accident. It will likely bankrupt the guy who probable has limited insurance. Many states/counties allow homeowners to wire their own things, right or wrong, they allow it.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
According to the report, the pump’s electrical system contained:

• Modifications that had not been inspected or permitted.
  • No protection for the wire that connected the pump to the power source.
  • An improper splice — a connection of two pieces of wire — that were not insulated and contained no ground wire.
  • A circuit breaker that was too big to protect the line from overheating.
  • Violations of some 13 state laws or electrical codes.

That is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
According to the report, the pump’s electrical system contained:

• Modifications that had not been inspected or permitted.
  • No protection for the wire that connected the pump to the power source.
  • An improper splice — a connection of two pieces of wire — that were not insulated and contained no ground wire.
  • A circuit breaker that was too big to protect the line from overheating.
  • Violations of some 13 state laws or electrical codes.

That is pretty impressive.
...and yet no laws where broken when the financial industry brought this nation to its knees, I am starting to see a trend here.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
...tired of seeing this type of response to an accident. It will likely bankrupt the guy who probable has limited insurance. Many states/counties allow homeowners to wire their own things, right or wrong, they allow it.
in Vermont there's no requirement for much of anything single family OR farms

They'd all be bankrupt if subjected to fines for not meeting code

Prob is, nobody informs them until there's an incident, or complaint

~CS~

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
not all farmers are that way though
Ive seen some good work done by farmers
but all too often you see a lot of hurry up work or helpers work that just doesn't cut it.
I opened one' j box (an extended circuit) and found he had used wire nuts and an entire roll of tape per conductor including the ground:laughing:
better safe than sorry he says! ya just can't fault that reasoning

·
Registered
97 Posts
Seen some pretty ingenious wiring on farms. I've also seen down right dangerous wiring. In Iowa the farmers still need all new services inspected and approved, also anything to do with resi also..., but as far as their out-buildings, grain + live-stock management, etc., etc., thats up to the farm if they want it inspected. What amazes me is the insurance company that underwrites these policies for (sometimes)millions of dollars worth of property damage don't demand inspections.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I think farms are exempt from permit requirements already. Licensing laws will do nothing for farms, handymen, or homeowners that want to do their own wiring. I'm not sure WTF it is designed to do. They don't even know who is going to enforce it. The question was asked to Tom Garvey and all he said was inspectors can enforce it. I suspect it will be a bunch of tattle-tailing from EC's that got their butt hurt.
You must have different EC's in your location :laughing::laughing:
I suspect it will be more of an issue when the said farmer's said structure burns to the ground and kill's all the animals. Then PETA, his insurance company (if he has any) and others will get involved and he'll get picketed and the insurance won't pay a dime.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I'm just finishing up some farm detail right now

This aging farmer decided to turn his place into a hostel for a number of misfits

The problem is, once anything here is a 'rental' it then is subject to all the bureaucracies normally applied.

So here we have this farmer, hack descendant of hacks that have cobbed every known farm widget on Gods green earth confronted by state officials

Having been invited for the festivities resulted in being witness to the farmer bellowing about lawyers & litigation, as the state scratched out fines as quick as they could write

I did get a chuckle outta my EI, who at one point was eyeing the barn, to which i said 'ya ain't got enough paper' :rolleyes:

Long story short, the 'system' around here doesn't work all that good, with those sparkies among us who bravely go where angels fear to tread are often caught in the middle of it all

~CS~

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
in Vermont there's no requirement for much of anything single family OR farms

They'd all be bankrupt if subjected to fines for not meeting code

Prob is, nobody informs them until there's an incident, or complaint

~CS~
It's hard to feel sorry for them when you see all the green equipment setting around and all the 4-wheelers, Gators, etc. Most of them could afford to hire their electrical done but it would go against their independence.
Around here, one of the POCO's has a rewire program that gives them up to $10,000 of free money. No one else get's benefits like that.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
The only good electrical I've seen on a farm is the stuff I just finished installing.

That said, it takes some SERIOUS negligence to do electrical SO BAD that it can actually cause an open arc substantial enough to cause a massive brush fire.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
The only good electrical I've seen on a farm is the stuff I just finished installing.

That said, it takes some SERIOUS negligence to do electrical SO BAD that it can actually cause an open arc substantial enough to cause a massive brush fire.
And it takes the farmer about 1 day to undo a lot of your nice work.

I'm suspicious this irrigation equipment wasn't operated at 120 VAC.

One farmer calls me up.....he's getting shocks off the stalls etc. in his freestall barn. Go there to check it out. The ground wire to his electric fencer is connected to..............The cover screw on the electrical panel!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts