Electrician Talk banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Conservitum Americum
8,873 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Disheartened with electrical work I pursued a career in trucking that would last 15 years. .

Anyway, in February of 1984 I quit trucking, took a pay cut and went to work for dad full time for five bucks an hour. It didn’t last long.
Disillusioned, depressed and financially broke I went back on the road in 1990 as a long haul trucker.

Flashback with me for a moment to the early 70’s when my first wife and I got involved in a company called Amway. This is where I was introduced to personal development books like, “Think and Grow Rich” and “How to Win Friends and Influence People”. These books had instilled an entrepreneurial urge and a never give up spirit in me that would now, 15 years later, start to pay off. It prompted me to invest in Tony Robbins’ “Ultimate Power” cassette tape set. I listened to those self development tapes in the cab of that truck for almost three years (1990-1993) while traveling back and forth across the country in an 18 wheeler. I literally wore them out!

Those tapes motivated me to go back into business doing residential service, small renovations and some light commercial work. In 1995 I joined a better practices group called Contractors Success Group where I would learn how to run a business, but not before making every mistake in the book at least once and sometimes twice. We brought on HVAC the same year. A few years later would see a plumbing department, water treatment department, a generator department in 2004 and in 2009 a fire place and stove retail business with a showroom.

Business has been very profitable over the last 5 years with sales north of 6 million.
Cheers!
Flyboy
No wonder you went broke at $5/hr. !! So that Tim Robbins stuff actually works :eek:

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
FlyBoy, great life story.. and honestly I think you're one of the most well balanced electrician and business owners on here. What's the background story on your apparently love of aviation? I'm also a pilot and the details very much interest me.

Cheers!
My uncle was a WWII Navy veteran who served as a crew member on the Douglas SBD Dautless (gunner/radioman) aboard an aircraft carrier.

He then went to work as a mechanic for Northwest Airlines from 1950 to 1990. He worked the second shift as a crew chief the last 30 years of his career at JFK (Idlewild).

As a teenager in the 60's he would take me to work with him. I got to be in and around all the big iron. 727's, 707's, DC 8's and then the 747 in 1970. I got to ride in the right seat when he would taxi the layover flight to the NWA hangar on the other side of the field from the terminal at the end of the shift. That was so cool. What a rush. I couldn't get enough of it!

I eventually got a job as an equipment serviceman (baggage smasher) for a company that provided services for KLM, SAS and Olympic Airlines. I worked on the ramp behind the International Arrivals Building (IAB). This was before any of these airlines had gates at the airport. Back then, they (we) used air stairs and buses to get the passengers to the terminal. All the equipment was portable (air starters, APU's, honey truck, air stairs). Very busy ramp, very dangerous.

So, that's where I caught the bug; from my Uncle Bob, my hero.

Also, growing up during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo years was very exciting. I got to watch the moon landing on a small black and white TV in the ****pit of a 727 with my uncle on July 20, 1969.

My eyes are filling up just writing about this.

I got my pilot's certificate in 2003 and my instrument rating in 2007. I have 1500+ hours and own/fly a Bellanca Super Viking BL17.

Bet your sorry you asked. :laughing:

·
Bootlegger
4,378 Posts
I think I am the only one who believes less than half of what flyboy wrote.

I'll give you this, you can sell. You sold all these dreamers on believing everything you write.

If that is how you measure success, you did well.

·
Bootlegger
4,378 Posts
The huge satisfied repeat customer base is the result of their good work.

Cheers!
Flyboy[/QUOTE]

Huge satisfied repeat customer base?

Define Huge? I'd bet it's less than 10%, or you wouldn't be spending so much on marketing, and FWIW, all the bragging you do about a plane only wets the whistles of those who don't know. I know guys who own cars worth more than that plane. Heck, I know a guy who sells phones, yes cell phones....whose kitchen costs more than that plane.

You'd have my vote, as if it cares, if you didn't BS so much.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
I'm sorry flyboy I somehow missed this thread but you are most definitely a champion of our industry and will have my vote

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.