Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding tapping a Feeder. This is what i got: A 200 meter can is mounted on the side of a garage. Off the load side of the meter can is a 200A main disconnect which Feeds the main 200 A panel in the House 30ft away. The feeder is some sort of multiconductor cable with a jacket. I need a 60 subpanel for the garage and the 200A panel in the house is full(no space whatsoever for another breaker). Can I tap off this Feeder cable according to Article 240 tap rule and run the tap conductors down to a 60A subpanel in the garage? Thanks.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Yes.

Where do you plan on tapping?

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
I have a question regarding tapping a Feeder. This is what i got: A 200 meter can is mounted on the side of a garage. Off the load side of the meter can is a 200A main disconnect which Feeds the main 200 A panel in the House 30ft away. The feeder is some sort of multiconductor cable with a jacket. I need a 60 subpanel for the garage and the 200A panel in the house is full(no space whatsoever for another breaker). Can I tap off this Feeder cable according to Article 240 tap rule and run the tap conductors down to a 60A subpanel in the garage? Thanks.
The conductors must be enclosed n a raceway. They must be rated at not less than 1/3 the ampacity of the feeder. And they cannot be more than 25 ft. long. But yes, if you meet those requirements.

InPhase277

1 - 5 of 5 Posts