Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to install a feeder from my house to my detached garage. I would run the feeder from my main panel in the house, through PVC conduit, and terminate it in the sub-panel in the garage. Do I need to install an equipment grounding conductor in the conduit along with the neutral conductor since they both terminate on the same grounding bar in the main panel.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am wanting to install a feeder from my house to my detached garage. I would run the feeder from my main panel in the house, through PVC conduit, and terminate it in the sub-panel in the garage. Do I need to install an equipment grounding conductor in the conduit along with the neutral conductor since they both terminate on the same grounding bar in the main panel.

Yes and you’ll need a GE system at the garage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes and you’️ll need a GE system at the garage.
Grounding Electrode? I don't know enough about this but I thought you only run grounding electrodes when you create a new separately derived system?
Don't listen to him, you need a Zinsco panel. It is required by code for all detached outbuildings.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You need a grounding rod at the garage. It's very likely your code will call for it.
How many circuits in that garage panel? If you have 6 or less you won't need a main breaker in that panel.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Grounding Electrode? I don't know enough about this but I thought you only run grounding electrodes when you create a new separately derived system?
Checkout 250.32

1 - 11 of 11 Posts