Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone...i was wondering how hard it will be to break into the trade with a felony conviction....mine is from 2004....i was 19 who had a 15 year old girlfriend...stupid i know but here we are.im not on the registry but am currently on probation.ive heard that quite a few guys who were felons were going into electrical...whats the outlook on breaking into this trade with a felony...btw im now 30 years old and start school next year

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I am not sure.

This page from CT seems to say a felony conviction can prevent you getting a license but it also seems to say that cannot be the only reason.

Here it is, you can decide for yourself. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/jud/rpt/2003-r-0333.htm

In my own opinion 19 year old males don't belong with 15 year old girls, if I was a employer and leaned that was the felony would not hire you.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well then i should be glad its not up to you
Just realize that his attitude is most likely going to be the same as any potential future employer's attitude, and I don't blame him. Second chances do not come easily in licensed professions, and you may have shot yourself in the foot with no doctor who will operate on you.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,665 Posts
i understand it will be tough breaking in.....but im truly committed to this new chapter in my life...someone will give me a chance
You should also go see a lawyer and maybe there are legal ways to help you out..

Did the girls parents press charges and have you arrested??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no her school found out about it and the state picked the charges up....ive already asked a few licensed electricans and they tell me i can still get licensedill just have to have a meeting with the state lecensing board at that time to see where my head is at years later....by the time that happens my felony will have been close to 15 years old and hopefully they will see the difference between being 19 years old and being a man in hos 30's

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
no her school found out about it and the state picked the charges up....ive already asked a few licensed electricans and they tell me i can still get licensedill just have to have a meeting with the state lecensing board at that time to see where my head is at years later....by the time that happens my felony will have been close to 15 years old and hopefully they will see the difference between being 19 years old and being a man in hos 30's
I am not trying to nitpick you, but you should work on your writing composition. It is very important to any employer with common sense.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It might be rough, even if the state permits you to become licensed you then need to find an employer willing to hire you... However, that goes for whatever you choose to do. Good luck. :001_unsure:

In Connecticut, an applicant may not be denied state employment or licensure solely because of a prior conviction. However, a state agency may determine a person is not suitable for the position or license after considering: (1) the relationship between the offense and the job; (2) the applicant’s post-conviction rehabilitation; and (3) the time elapsed since conviction and release. When conducting these determinations, the state employer or licensing agency may not consider arrests that did not lead to conviction, nor records that have been expunged. If a conviction is used as a basis for rejection, a written rejection stating the evidence presented and the reasons for the rejection must be completed, and such a rejection must be sent via registered mail to the applicant.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap814c.htm

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Definitely start working on getting your record expunged. It'll be just as hard as breaking into a trade, but considering your age at the time, you've got a shot.

Another issue to consider is that large companies that do corporate, government, and military contract work may not hire you because most of their clients will require background checks. You might be better off with a smaller outfit that does resi and small commercial work where this isn't as much of an issue.

You already know this, but prepare yourself for a lot of rejection. That part is no different than being in sales, and people deal with it every day. Stay tough and keep trying until you find what you want. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
In my own opinion 19 year old males don't belong with 15 year old girls, if I was a employer and leaned that was the felony would not hire you.
In my opinion, a 19 year old male is about as mature as a 15 year old girl.

There are often factors that far outweigh the numbers. I don't know what the case is here but they could have been just over 2 years apart in age. Also, the age of consent varies around the country and the world.

That said, a felony will be a huge problem for him.

Also, when I was in high school, marijuana possession was a felony here in AZ. :jester:

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
hey everyone...i was wondering how hard it will be to break into the trade with a felony conviction....mine is from 2004....i was 19 who had a 15 year old girlfriend...stupid i know but here we are.im not on the registry but am currently on probation.ive heard that quite a few guys who were felons were going into electrical...whats the outlook on breaking into this trade with a felony...btw im now 30 years old and start school next year
i understand it will be tough breaking in.....but im truly committed to this new chapter in my life...someone will give me a chance
I wish you luck on your venture.

However, you might want to stop using the term "breaking in" with a felony conviction!:whistling2:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

In other words, no public complaint was filed.

Well you're in good company, because none of us wear halos either Stringer

And the state is well aware of it. My state will subsidize an employer who will hire an ex con. Why? well even the state realizes people make mistakes & life goes on for those who've addressed it.

Further, i've worked with a number of ex cons about your age, i don't know why they come to an old fart like me for advice, but i'll tell you what i've told them

It's behind you, you've done your time, let it go & don't wear it right out front on your sleeve for every meet /greet you engage in

Good luck

~CS~

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.